Breastfeeding Question

How long after a baby breastfeeds does the food or drink you've eaten affect the baby? Caffine for example. I drink a 16oz cup almost everymorning.

proudmamma9706

Asked by proudmamma9706 at 10:58 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It depends on what it is. If you drink caffine then the caffine is probably in your breast milk within an hour and will affect the baby as soon as they nurse. Dairy is one thing that takes FOREVER to get out of your milk, but caffine is in and out pretty quickly.

Caffine is one of those things that's considered safe in small amounts. I'd say you're probably fine. Might want to brew it weak or try to drink less or put part decaf grounds in to make it, but you're probably fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:00 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree with the PP. your fine.
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 11:06 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Have you tried decaf? Its not as tasty to me, but I never wanted to take in anything that I didn't want to give directly to my infant. Remember that the farmer knows to keep the cows out of the field that has wild onions. :) lol
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:39 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I made the mistake of eating soup beans and cornbread for supper one night..... Poor Maya had gas all the next day. I was never sure if it was my fault or not, but I avoided them for a while!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 5:37 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It depends on the food. It can take up to 2 weeks for some foods to get out of your system. If you are worried about coffee there is a great resource, with details on how long it is in your system etc. at  Breastfeeding and Caffeine

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:12 PM on May. 6, 2009