How do you deal with people's lectures and anger when you choose and name they don't like for your new baby?

naturalhome

Asked by naturalhome at 11:00 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its your child... Your the one that carries it for 9 months, goes through the pain of delivery. Its your right to name him or her whatever you and your SO choose. Dont listen to what other people say, its not their baby!
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 11:02 AM on May. 6, 2009

• why would someone be angry about what YOU named YOUR baby? my mom isn't a big fan of the name i have picked out for my son, but i'm naming him it anyways.. but she'd never be mean about it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:03 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I always just said "It's my baby and I can name her whatever I want."
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:03 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Unless you are naming your child something ridiculous, like Mango Kumquat, or somthing offensive, Like Hitler - you can tell them they need to s.h.u.t u.p
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 6, 2009

• If they have children of their own tell them they had their chance to name their own children and now it's your turn and this is your choice. My mom didn't really like the name we picked for my oldest son, but after he was a couple years old she finally admitted to me that it fits him well and she couldn't picture him with any other name. She never commented on the other names we picked for our other 2 children after that either.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:04 AM on May. 6, 2009

• You don't need to deal with it. One of the names I liked for a girl if I end up having one, my friend wanted her child to be named. She had never told me this and through a fit, I was like sorry I don't know what to tell you? You're only 17 and I got pregnant first haha
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:06 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My husband said "if you want to pick out the name, have another kid yourself!" People weren't loving our son's name, Ruger, but it totally fits him and everyone's come around to loving it as much as we do.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:07 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I just smile and say, well we liked it.
    No ifs, ands, nor buts...our child, our choice.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:14 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My closest friend knew that the hubby and I had already decided our son's name would be Noah, and even though I let her know that it was a done deal she still made fun of the name and said kids will ask him where his ark is. We still named him Noah.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:29 AM on May. 6, 2009

• i put up with everyone's opinion when i was pregnant with my son. (Ethan Ray) when i was pregnant with my daugther, i decided to play it a little differently. my dh and i sat down one nighty and came up with the worst list of baby names we could think of. Our point of reference was if there was a chance that john lennon and yoko ono would have named their baby this, it went on the list.

hermione hortense was one of my favorites. I claimed it was after two favorite book characters, hermione granger and horton from horton hears a who, my favorite childhood storybook.

Rainbow Giladriel was another.

basically the idea is make the list so horrific that when you tell them the real name (after it is put on the birth certificate) they are so relieved they never say a word.

Also, it's a lot of fun watching people trying to conceal their disdain for the name and respond politely.

mikenmisty

Answer by mikenmisty at 11:36 AM on May. 6, 2009