He won't eat!

My 5 month old loves his rice cereal mixed with babies first sauce foods, but he hates sweet peas and the carrots. Anything that I can do or add to make him like them more?

I plan on making my own baby food soon so I could just add whatever I'm allowed to make him like it more.

OH and no rude comments please. I know my son better than anyone on here does, and my pediatrician and myself know that he needed more than formula. He was not only "eying" our food, but crying when we wouldn't give him some. Then when I started giving him the rice cereal mix he demanded more before I could even get another spoon full haha.

ours

Asked by ours at 11:04 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well i am sure you have already been told that solids are harmful before 6 months, doctors recommendations or not.

That is true, - those are facts.

now putting that aside, if you have already started giving solids, and he isn't interested - he doesn't need them.

babies only eat when they are hungry.

so you and your doctor can play along with the idea that he "needs" food for as long as you want, but while he is still refusing them, this is all it is, a game between you and your docs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 6, 2009

• It may be that you have to hold off on those for a while. My son hates peas. He spits them out when I try to give it too him. You could also try mixing the peas and carrots with a little but of fruit to make it sweeter. Like bananas or something. Put a little bit of both on the spoon and he might eat it. Good luck.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 11:08 AM on May. 6, 2009

• He only refuses carrots and peas, he LOVES babies firsts fruits and his rice cereal. And I see why you posted ANON, miss know it all.

You can state whatever facts you like, but the age where babies should start eating solids has changed and I don't have a doubt that it'll continue to change like everything else. Back to what I said, I do know my baby more than you, but thanks for your snotty input.
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:12 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Try corn syrup or sweetened condensed milk with the veggies. I used to sweeten my son's baby food and then weened him off that. I don't buy that "no food before 6 months". That's crap. When the kid wants something more than formula they will let you know. I fed my son rice cereal and apple sauce well before 6 months. He loved it. And as most moms know, when you find something that works you stick with it.

Some "facts" might work for other kids but there are some that do well on baby food before others. Keep doing what you're doing. No one knows your baby's personality like you do.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:15 AM on May. 6, 2009

• He might just like the carrot and pea when you make them yourself... try that first... they taste MUCH better (especially the peas!)
    You could try some combo's...
    Carrots and Turnip
    Carrots and Sweet Potatoes
    Carrots and Apple
    Carrots and Squash
    (careful with homemade carrots with Nitrates)

Peas and Green beans
    Peas and Pears

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:39 AM on May. 6, 2009

• First of all, I have to agree that "standards" for one child does not always it works for all children. For the lady that posted anon, I fed all 5 of my kids real food well before they were 6 months old. My kids are now 19, 18, 17, 17 and 8 so obviously it didn't hurt any of them. Now, as to why he won't eat his food, vegetables are tough for kids to like sometimes, and that goes for all ages. Fruit is sweet, veggies are not. You may wait until he is little older to try to incorporate veggies or do as the other suggested and just mash up what is on your plate. What does everyone think babies ate before Gerber and Heinz came into the picture?? NOTHING is wrong with feeding your baby solid food even as early as 1 week (cereal in the formula bottle). So, if you feel your baby needs more food, give it to him and don't worry about what others say. As long as he is healthy, that's all that matters. Good luck & God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:48 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Jaw drop..... "Try corn syrup ". NO NO NO
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:49 AM on May. 6, 2009