how old was your baby when he/she held their own bottle?

my son is going to be 8 months old on the 16th of this month and he doesn't even attempt to hold his own bottle. he lays with his arms sprawled out and usually tosses his head all around looking at things.

beck_9808

Asked by beck_9808 at 11:23 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think my son was 5-6 months... and he's not primarily bottle bed only when I'm at work. But I don't think it's a "milestone" some kids just don't want to hold their own bottle... which is nice, because then you can snuggle more while you still can.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:31 AM on May. 6, 2009

• bed=fed
    AmiJanell

• Sounds to me like he's very secure in knowing that you are there to hold his bottle for him while he relaxes and enjoys being in your arms. Feeding time is a time to held and nurtured. Why do you want your baby to fend for himself & have to hold his own bottle? It really makes me feel sad to see babies who are forced to hold their own bottles or worse yet, have it propped. Feeding time is one of greatest of all the times we as moms will ever share with our babies and it ends quicker than you know. Just take the time out of your busy schedule, stop what you're doing and focus on this special time with your baby. One day you're gonna long for these days and they'll be gone forever. Believe me, I know.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:33 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My dd is 8 months and doesn't mainly because she is breast fed but when I do bottle feed her I hold her so she doesn't need too. And no its not a milestone so I wouldn't worry about it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:34 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My son is 5 1/2 months, and does the same thing your son does! He just has no interest in holding it, or when he does try it's very unsucessful, lol. I wouldn't worry about it. He'll try when he's interested.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:47 AM on May. 6, 2009

• 4 months slowly, 5 months totally, he's just beginning lazy don't worry about it!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 12:35 PM on May. 6, 2009

• He started trying to hold it at 5 months or so but wasn't strong enough to hold it on his own until about 7 months
    Anonymous

• She started ALMOST holding at 4 months, now she's 5 months and she's holding it, but only when it's halfway done LOL. It's too heavy for her still to hold completely up, I use the glass bottles.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:20 PM on May. 6, 2009