Medical Transcription: Is it for me?

Posting again during the daytime so I can get more answers. I want LOTS of input!

I think I'd like to be a medical transcriptionist. What are the pros and cons?
Is there a course I can take online? What equipment do I need? Do YOU like your job? What is a typical workday like? Is this a good career choice for a SAHM with school aged kids? Tell me all about it! I want as much information as I can get so that I can make an informed decision. Thank you for your help, Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• My mother did this for many years. She liked it and was well versed in medical terminology. She worked for a company and then did some at home too. Yes she had her own computer, but they provided the dictation tapes and headset. I helped her out with it some, but my issues with it were my back. Sitting at the computer that long is painful for me and also risk of carpal tunnel. Just make sure you use correct posture. I think its a beneficial field. Makes decent money but it is time consuming until you get good at it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

• MT is one of THE most scammed work at home jobs. It's very difficult, and sometimes impossible to get a job with an online MT certificate. Most dr's want you to have worked in an office for 2 or 3 years before they will hire you to do it 'on your own'. With that said, some people do make a career out of it. Just don't send money to some online school without checking them out, not just from their own site! Plus, there are a ton of other work at home jobs out there, lots of them are free, message me if you want info on the ones I work for.

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 12:06 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I own a small MT company. Never would I take an online course...I took my training at a real life college. Way too much to learn with no one to answer incessant questions. I would not hire someone with an online degree either unless they had a lot of experience. At least two years verifiable in-office or hospital experience, and not work from home.

Dictation tapes are going the way of the dinosaur in this industry now. Everything is moving to digital. It is a rare medical provider that uses tapes these days. This will require you to have a high-powered computer in order to operate a digital platform. I have three employees at this time, but my day would be much different than theirs of course. I would say that it is a great deal more difficult work than most would think for sure. As the owner six to seven 12+ hours per day is quite typical. My employees work five day weeks, but they are paid per line typed.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 2:48 PM on May. 6, 2009

• There is also the modern tool of voice activated dictation that will input what is spoken. This would have the transcriptionist hearing the spoken words and then repeating them into the system to have them appear. This type of software is awesome for preventing carpal tunnel and other repetitive use injuries these days, however, it is incredibly inaccurate and requires extremely vigilent monitoring to ensure happy clients.

Best of luck to you!
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 2:50 PM on May. 6, 2009