has anyone tried supplements and changing your childs diet in order to help curb your childs ADHD symptoms?

what did you try? did it make a difference? what kind of changes did you notice?

nairda

Asked by nairda at 11:39 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• This is a subject near and dear to my heart! Yes, we've been treating my son using a biomedical approach (diet, supplementation, detoxification) for over five years now and we've been able to rid him of his ADHD diagnosis. He was diagnosed as the hyper/impulsive subcategory of ADHD; within one month of starting supplementation, he was a completely different child ... and we have never looked back. He is the most responsible, well-behaved soon-to-be 16 year old you would ever hope to meet, doing extremely well in school and talking college and career.

I would suggest, if you have the resources to do so, to work with a DAN doctor if you are planning to supplement. Many have tried on their own and failed because the program should be tailored specifically to the individual and that can be better planned only after lab/blood work has been done to know where the deficiencies lie. Check out the biomed groups here for info!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:12 AM on May. 8, 2009

• i have found an amazing product that is helping children with ADHD. Please go to www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers  and www.liquidzeolite.org    This has a wealth of info that is helpful.  Let me know what you think.   and I can help  you with this.    Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 7:00 PM on May. 6, 2009

• ok I'm not trying to sell you snakeoil...I did try dietary changes. Did not help. may help some kids. not mine. I would research all avenues before putting out money on somethign that may be of no use to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on May. 7, 2009

• We did both the supplements and the diet changes. It made a huge difference in his ability to focus and learn at school. If you want to know more you can e-mail me at megan_richert@yahoo.com.

I hope you find what works for you.
    Megan
    MeganKay1977

Answer by MeganKay1977 at 9:28 PM on May. 7, 2009

• My son is 7 and has been unofficially diagnosed with ADHD. The school system we are currently in places the ADHD kids in a separate category and this affects there graduation status, so we choose not to get his test results. His Pre-K teacher recommended a book "Is your child's brain starving" and we have had great results. My husband was a complete non-believer and know even he recommends the book to people.
    BethStaton

Answer by BethStaton at 7:38 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Yep I do. She swears by it! Message me and I will tell ya where to go!
    ellies3boys

Answer by ellies3boys at 8:07 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My sister-in-law (who is only 3) is ADHD. Her mom has put her on a sugar-free diet, and won't let her have foods with red dye. Something about red dye contributes to ADHD.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:25 AM on May. 8, 2009

• A friend of mine made MAJOR changes in her daughter's diet and supplements to curb her behavior. No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, no fruits except pears ( something in fruits sends her over the edge) and she gives her zinc, spirulina and probiotics. I don't know how much of the supplements she gives her. She is a different child now, WITHOUT drugs!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:39 AM on May. 8, 2009

• YES!! We have tried everything. Diet, parenting techniques, special behavioral doctors, therapy...and the only thing left to try is medication. I know that is what he needs but I just have to let him hit rock bottom before I admit defeat. I am just so sad b/c I prefer natural over phama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My daughter hasn't been diagnosed yet. I'm having an IEP meeting about her in a couple of weeks to find out if and how bad. I was told by her evaluators that they use small amounts of caffeine to help with impulse control in kids with ADHD. I started to share a sip or two of my morning coffee with my DD and you can tell when she's had caffeine and when she hasn't. It's not perfect but it helps. I'm not going beyond that until I get a definitive diagnosis. If I do anything else at all.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 9:43 AM on May. 8, 2009