has anyone tried supplements and changing your childs diet in order to help curb your childs ADHD symptoms?

what did you try? did it make a difference? what kind of changes did you notice?

nairda

Asked by nairda at 11:40 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• www.feingold.org has great information on diet and behavior. My daughter has really been helped with her attention issues by fish oil caps (though we have switched to hemp oil). Most important is to find a therapist who will help your child learn to use ADD/ADHD to her/his advantage; thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education

Answer by rkoloms at 4:12 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I don't let him have Red Dye #40 LAKE. He can't have that at all.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:43 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Nope, he barely eats as it is, like I am going to take the foods away that he does eat. We do use lots of schedules and reminders along with positive praise.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I did that also cut out the red dye and cut out sugars. Got her in more activitly's to help keep her busy. I took her off her meds. me and my husband spent more one on one time with her. I'm not sure if she out grow it or what all we did help. But she is Way better now.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:00 PM on May. 6, 2009

• For us, switching to organic whole milk made a difference. After a couple of months we also cut out anything with artificial sweetener in it, that made a HUGE difference. A few months later we got rid of high fructose corn syrup again improvement. The biggest change though cafe from us being very consistent with our discipline, every single action has a consequence good or bad. If we say we are going to do something we do it and if they get grounded there is no early ungrounding for good behavior. We do not give in to any fits of any kind. We do feel though that had we not done the diet changes it would have been much more difficult to stick to our new parenting plan. If you are going to make diet changes, change one thing at a time so that you can see how that thing is affecting your child. Often parents change many things at once and then do not know what things really made the difference.

majiklcerri

Answer by majiklcerri at 4:52 PM on May. 6, 2009