What can I do to help my son through Puberty?

SPHENRY28

Asked by SPHENRY28 at 11:57 AM on May. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Talk to him, keep the lines of communication open. Be patient and understanding. My son is going through it now and we talk all the time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:59 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I guess the most important thing to do is to let him know that you are there for him for any questions he may have. This is a very confusing time for boys. Keep the channels of communication open, make sure you talk to him about all the changes he will be experiencing. I hope other moms can add to this.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:59 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Talk to him about his ever changing body, mind and soul.... this is a tough time for boys because just like girls they have a mix of emotions, especially if they start getting those feeling of liking someone more then a friend. This can be a crushing time for them also, and boys as well as girls need to know that its ok to have these emotions and talking about them is a good way to deal with these emotions. Boys tend to stuff it all inside and denie everything (tipical male) lol... so don't over ask him if he is ok.. just every once in a while ask him how things are going, give him room but don't let him take his frustration out on you.. we have 2 boys in this stage 11 and 10 and they tend to want to yell at us and the other kids and that is not gonna happen! Good luck hun..
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 12:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree with the moms, communication is the key point. My husband and I have pretty good communication with both our teens, we try to make them feel comfortable with talking to us about things and try to relate to them and give them advice. Everyone has a different style of parenting but we show them we are not uptight about their changes or "normal" things they are going through..like we tell our soon to be 13 year old "if you're gonna spank the monkey please do it when you're taking a shower"! I know it's not for everyone but for us it has worked, the more open you are the more they will come to you if you are able to give them advice about issues without jumping on them. It's a very interesting time for them right now and we have a boy and a girl we have to worry about it...2 separate parts of puberty!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Tell him not to use his socks as a clean-up tool. Feet are dirty and you dont want that near your junk. Now is a good time for the sex talk
    Anonymous