Dog Grooming

does anyone groom their own dogs? I have a shihtzu and yorkiepoo and I don't mind paying for the shihtzu to get groomed every couple months but I don't want to start with the yorkiepoo. does anyone groom thier own dog? How hard is it? What supplies do I need? How long does it take?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 12:01 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Pets

• For a yorkiepoo I would get a "slicker" brush it's the best type for the hair on that one. It's looks painful all those little tiny pin looking bristles but it's what they use, if your going to be doing your own grooming just make sure and keep it from getting matted or you will have to cut the hair which would suck if you don't plan on it. Andis is a really good brand for clippers. A slicker brush is the best for the hair to brush it.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:12 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I just finished a 4 session class at our local tech college called Basic Dog Grooming. We have a little yorki-shih tzu mix. The grooming was running like $36 for him every 3 months. So not a ton but it definitely adds up over the years. Anyhow, after taking the class I decided groomers really work for their money if they do all the stuff they are supposed to and it is more than worth the fee. The groomer who taught our class recommended clippers that were a minimum of $130 which like she said pays for itself eventually but then the table or holder and all the other stuff too. It would be a pretty good chunk of money to get started with just the basics......
    l-momoftwo

Answer by l-momoftwo at 12:39 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I have a Shih Tzu (and I used to have a Yorkie/Shih Tzu) and I groom at home. I don't do anything fancy, I just shave them down with clippers. It takes me about 15 mins to do this.
    Anonymous