Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get Child Support Even though my Ex-Husbands Parental Rights were terminated by the Judge?

My Ex husband is registerd Sex offender. I didnt know the whole story, and CPS came and took my daughter while I was pregnant with my SON. I fought in court to keep my children. But they said the only way I could keep them is if I Divorced my Ex husband and Stayed away from him. So I did, but they terminated his parental rights. Which I have NO problem with.. I am glad! But, I have NO help what so ever money wise. I feel like its unfair, Can I get child support from him, because I have been struggaling really badly ever sense. A friend of mine said something about going after WV for some sort of assistants makeing them pay something because they gave me NO option to work with to get any help. I dont know if any of this is possible but does any one know what I can do? I need a car to get to and from work, the kids need clothes, my son needs diapers.. I need help! I work, but I am still struggaling..Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by gottaluvluvs at 12:02 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • I don't think so. It severs rights as well as responsibilities in most cases. I'd call Child Support and ask how your state deals with that regarding CS. GOOD question though

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • Hmm good question. I would THINK that since he no longer has any parental rights for the children, that that would include him not having to pay child support. Losing your parental rights or giving them up means you have no responsibility to that child as the child has no responsibility to you. However that does seem unfair that because of something wrong that HE did, he gets out of having to help financially with the children too. I would consult a lawyer about this. Good luck!

    Answer by Ash9724 at 12:05 PM on May. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
Get over it..........

Next question overall (Pets)
Dog Grooming