Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get Child Support Even though my Ex-Husbands Parental Rights were terminated by the Judge?

My Ex husband is registerd Sex offender. I didnt know the whole story, and CPS came and took my daughter while I was pregnant with my SON. I fought in court to keep my children. But they said the only way I could keep them is if I Divorced my Ex husband and Stayed away from him. So I did, but they terminated his parental rights. Which I have NO problem with.. I am glad! But, I have NO help what so ever money wise. I feel like its unfair, Can I get child support from him, because I have been struggaling really badly ever sense. A friend of mine said something about going after WV for some sort of assistants makeing them pay something because they gave me NO option to work with to get any help. I dont know if any of this is possible but does any one know what I can do? I need a car to get to and from work, the kids need clothes, my son needs diapers.. I need help! I work, but I am still struggaling..Thanks!


Asked by gottaluvluvs at 12:03 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • In Texas, and I'm sure it different from state to state, but here if the parent gives up his rights and you agree to it they do not have to pay child support. If the judge revokes the parents rights then they are still obligated to pay for the child bc it was their own fault their child was taken away so the courts dont punish the child and let the parents whose rights were revoked get off the hook. Go to the Attorney General and apply for it. They might even make him pay back child support. Call an attorney and ask for a free consult.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on May. 7, 2009

  • P.S. I have no problem with working more hours, or anything I can do, but when "I" myself run out of option of what I can do I dont have any choice...

    Answer by gottaluvluvs at 12:04 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • Oh he still has to pay child support

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:08 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • If his parental rights were terminated in court, I would assume his responsibility would be too. I would guess that you can't expect him to have to pay child support on a child or children that he is technically no longer a legal parent of. I don't know for sure, that's just my assumption.


    Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:09 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • that is tricky. did he physically sign over his rights to his children? or was it ordered by the judge that he was to have no cpontact with them? if he didnt sign over his rights to the kids you can still get child support. i am assuming that the judge granted you with full physical and legal custody of the kids. that only means that YOU make all the decisions. he has no parenting time. but YES he should be giving you child support. check with your states laws. he should be providing health insurance and support based off his pay. this is assuming he didnt sign over his rights. if he did you need to go back to court and request the courts help with child support. hope this helps. good luck.

    Answer by JessieK79 at 12:37 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • can you get any state assistance? that is what it is there for. for situations like yours. do some research and i am sure that you will find some kind of help. keep your head up mama, stay strong!!!

    Answer by JessieK79 at 12:41 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • I would contact whoever you had contact with when you originally went to court. that should have been brought up then or through the divorce procedings. you might have signed something during that time that clarifies everything. I've never heard of a divorce when children are involved for alimony / child support set up or at least denied at the court hearings. GO OVER your paper work, asap. before it's too late. good luck..even contact cps

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • I doubt you will. Honestly, do you want him to know where you live? If he is a registered sex offender I doubt he has a good paying job that would be able to help you much.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • State aid, churches, big brothers big sisters and other charities. Would going back to school get you a better career track? You probably qualify for grants.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • I don't think so. What I would do is look into getting onto some assistance, foods tamps, wic, and child action which is subsidized childcare, and find some work, if you can qualify for student loans I would look into going back to school and gaining more skills for a better career. You can survive and don't need him to do it, and that's how you need to look at it, my mother raised my two brothers and I without any help from family or our father and without getting on assistance. She was working long shifts because she didn't get on assistance, however she was able to work, and put herself through school and now makes good money doing what she likes. You've got a hard road ahead, I would also look into woman's support groups, there are allot of help available now days, so do some digging and ask lots of people.

    Answer by Knightquester at 1:31 PM on May. 6, 2009