Do you believe ppl can die from a broken heart?

I saw this question asked in another category by someone else but from way back and thought it was a good question so am reasking it. What's your definition of a broken heart? Can someone die from it?
I think the phenomenae is real but perhaps the common name for it is wrong. To me it's not as much my heart was broken as much as my soul was ripped when the two souls were no longer enmeshed. It's as though two hearts were beating as one and when one left, the other faltered. I believe some give in and succumb to death over it while others choose to endure the pain and live.

Asked by admckenzie at 12:06 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I certainly think it is more common with elderly couples, but I believe it is possible at any stage of life. The cause may not directly be "broken heart," but the lack of will to live when you are suffering so can make you ill on many different levels.

I didn't die physically of a broken heart, but a part of me died emotionally. I think your description of a soul being ripped in half is a very good one.
    clairandamjones

Answer by clairandamjones at 6:55 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Ummm no. I believe that someone can become so depressed that they just stop taking care of themselves. Not eating, sleeping, etc. It can cause some serious problems, but not death.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:08 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree with you admckenzie. Especially when people are together for a very long time, they are lost without that other person and sometimes give up.
    Anonymous

• Yes I truly do people can die from a broken heart.
    I believe that my uncle died from it and my girlfriends grandfather.
    They were both old aged men that could not nor wanted to be on this earth without
    their significant other..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:17 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It has been proven that when an elderly person's spouse dies, they themselves will most likely die soon after. I don't know if I would say that they die of a broken heart but when you lose the only thing you have lived for for most of your life, I think subconciously you don't feel that being alive is as important anymore. So therefore it is much easier for your body to just "give up." If that makes any sense..
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:20 PM on May. 6, 2009

• yes. I worked in many nursing homes where a married couple lived together. When one would get sick and pass away....it wasn't too much longer (months actually) that the other lost its will to fight and passed away also
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:23 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I think it is very much possible. I have told my husband many times that he'd better live as long as he can because I will probably kill myself if he goes before I do. (I mean if we were really really old.) Well not that I would shoot myself or something but I could see myself being so depressed that I would stop eating and drinking and just slowly die. That is years and years from now and it's possible he may leave me much earlier in an accident or something. If I had little grand kids running around and lots of family to help me I probably wouldn't but I don't know. When I get depressed I stop eating and drinking. It's almost out of your hands when you don't' have the desire to go on. If I was really old I could see myself doing that.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 12:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It have seen it happen on several occasions.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes, I believe it. How else do you explain a person dying very soon after the death of their spouse?
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• There's actually a physical condition called "Broken Heart Syndrome". Stress and grief can cause a thinning of the mitral valve of the heart, resulting in cardiomyopathy.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:32 PM on May. 6, 2009