What do you think of people who abuse government assistance?

From a previous post someone asked if you sell your foodstamps. Simple enough. But it's amazing that not only are they sold but it's assumed by some that it's ok.

Do you not have a conscience? Other people had to pay for everything you're not appreciating. Other people gave up their money that they earned in order to make sure your kids eat. It seems very rude and selfish. I have heard many people feel a sense of self "entitlement" like the government owes it to them.

If you need the help then great. That's why it's there. If you're out there selling them then you don't need it. So get off the assistance so someone else who does really need the help can have it.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 12:07 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• "With the welfare reforms of 1992, there really isn't a way to abuse the system; now there are time limits and you don't get extra money or food stamps for extra kids you have if you were already on aid. "

That's not true for all states and is NOT true in my state. The welfare reforms didn't do a damn thing besides limit the number of years you can get it (7yrs) and make it a catch 20/20 to get TCA. For people that REALLY need it, they don't get it because what the welfare reform did. People don't realize how hard it is to get assistance when you are completely homeless with no transportation and no physical address or phone. Welfare doesn't help those people and those are the people that need it the most not these people that keep popping out kids living in section 8 housing that sell their foodstamps and wic checks to get money for their nails, hair and cell phones.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Why are u trying to start drama?
    Anonymous

• You are not going to strike a cord with people like that unfortunately. There are always going to be people that abuse the system.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i think they are a bunch of low life losers.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:12 PM on May. 6, 2009

• whats foodstamps?
    Anonymous

• so much for the intelligent answers huh lilbit?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:17 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It's too much to abuse the system. I got off of cash aid because i had to miss work to go to their meetings. I had to get timesheets signed by my boss, and my professors at school. It was embarrasing. In my state, you have to work or go to school at least 30 hours a week to get cash aid. If you get food stamps and you don't work, it's only 100 something a month and time limited. Plus, cash aid; you can only get for so long. I dont' see how people would be abusing it. They found out about income I forgot about, when I didn't report it and cut me off once. With the welfare reforms of 1992, there really isn't a way to abuse the system; now there are time limits and you don't get extra money or food stamps for extra kids you have if you were already on aid.
    Anonymous

• I know. But maybe if I hide like the anons then we'll get an answer right? Maybe it's not the anon part....maybe it's the uniform.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:19 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It's hard to say who is abusing the system .. and actually there are a lot of different systems out there to abuse. But from what I understand very little of tax payers money goes to the system per-say and some that are able to met the guide lines of being helped by the system have jobs.. they just don't make enough to survive.

I don't like it when I see those kinds of post either, but actually look at the source who wrote the post and give they credit for doing with they do best starting drama, not that your question isn't a good one .. I just pay my taxes and hope the system is helping as many people as possible that truly need assistance! and the ones that are abusing the system get what they deserve.. jail time!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 12:20 PM on May. 6, 2009

• lol yep i think your right lilbit i think your right
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:21 PM on May. 6, 2009