Question about milk

So I feel like this is a stupid question but I really dont know the answer. When your baby turns one and can start drinking milk, I know that they are supposed to drink whole milk. Is it actually harmful for them to drink low-fat milk? I mean, I wouldnt regularly give it to my baby of course but if I go to someone's house and they only have low-fat milk would it be bad to give to my baby like for a day or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, it's not harmful at all. Toddlers need the extra fat for proper development of their nervous system. But they don't need that much and a few glasses of low fat now and then won't hurt.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• No. It's fine to give them lowfat milk. They just want them to have the whole milk, apparently, because of nutrients that it has.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• any milk is fine..
    Anonymous

• They are supposed to have 16 to 24 ounces of whole milk a day until they are two years old. They need the fat in the whole milk for brain development.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 12:19 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Its fine. Don't worrie soo much hun. :D
    I gave mine low fat sometimes too. They need whole milk because it has more fat in it. It help them grow. My doctor told me to switch to low fat after two. Seriuosly a couple days out of thier little lifes isn't gonna hurt them. :D
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Whole milk is supposed to be best, but some kids can't handle whole milk...if that's the case, work with the pedi to find a good compromise - could be 2% or soymilk.
    newmommy-again

Answer by newmommy-again at 12:37 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Water is all they need to drink. Good fats can come from other sources, like avocado and flax oil. Calcium can come from beans and greens. More information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    and here: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on May. 6, 2009