What if she NEVER sleeps again! Please oh please I need some reassurance.

My 23 month old was having a bottle of water each night to fall asleep. I know, I know, I know I am horrible for it.

Anyways, three days ago we got rid of it. She has not slept since. She will not go down for a nap (or if she does, she sleeps 20 minutes and wakes up screaming) and she is only sleeping 4 hours per night. Basically she is EXHAUSTED and I am too.

I am using the cry it out method, but for the past 2 night she has screamed all night long. I need help with this or I am about to run away from home! Will she ever sleep again? How long will it take for the cry it out method to work? Is it normal for her to scream uncontrollably for 6 + hours per night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• UGh.. so sorry mommy.... its purely such habit now for her and its her self soothing method. My ped said that amount of time when you start the crying it out method is perfectly normal actually. Being that she's older it will take a while for this to get better. But just stick to it mommy... or if you truly can't function - I agree that being that its water, its not the worst thing for her at night, however I think it will be harder for potty training so if you've already started this, I would keep at it.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:49 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Have you tried a small dose of tylenol to help her body relax to sleep?
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:18 PM on May. 6, 2009

• god bless you and good luck. My now 8 year old didn't sleep through the night until he was about 5 so I know how you feel. Hang in there. You have to mother your own way and do what works for you and the baby, you both need rest, trust me sometimes its not worth the trouble! One thing I did try with my son was giving him cereal at night before I gave him his last bottle...it made about an hour or two difference at night. good luck
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:23 PM on May. 6, 2009

• hmmmm....wish i could give you better news than this...we cut our 22 month old off of the nuk three weeks ago. she only had it when she was in bed...so nap and bedtime...and before we took it away she was going to sleep all by herself and sleeping 8-9 hours....since we took the nuk away that hasn't happened once. we're still not giving her the nuk...but its been a struggle.....GOOD LUCK!
    l-momoftwo

Answer by l-momoftwo at 12:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• The problem at the moment is that you're stuck in a vicious circle. She's overtired which makes it more difficult for her to get to sleep without her usual comfort mechanism.. Since the bottle only had water in it, maybe trying to reduce the amount in it each night and gradually phase it back out? (Admittedly, I've never been a fan of the "cry it out" method. It didn't work with our son who would work himself into such a tizzy that only a car ride would get him to sleep.. You might try doing something soothing for her before bedtime like rocking, etc to see if that helps her settle (although this is perhaps something you've already tried?) Good luck! One way or the other, you'll both get through it without either one of you running away from home!
    Anonymous

• Have you tried giving her a small spill proof sippy cup of water instead? I don't see anything wrong with letting them have water at bedtime. It's not like it's going to rot their teeth like milk or juice would.

Our daughter did the same thing, so we just kept cutting back the water little by little and finally she didn't want it anymore.
    Anonymous

• Been there. I didn't have the heart (or the patience) for that much crying and I gave it back to her. Like you, it was only water. It wasn't hurting her in any way so I figured why have so much stress and grief over it. Once she was old enough to understand (about 31 months for mine), I started talking about the bottle fairy and how she was going to come one night soon and take all the bottles to a new baby who needed them. Finally, we started putting one bottle in a gift bag every morning. When the last one went in, that was it. I think it helped that it was a gradual process and that she was old enough to understand the "big girl" part of it. She asked for a bottle a couple of times but this time we had no screaming and sound sleep. YEAH!

All kids are different. But you might consider waiting until she is a willing participant. Like I said, it's only water.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:57 PM on May. 6, 2009