sippy with straw??

My son is almost 6 months old, and I have been introducing him to sippys for about a month now. He has tried 3 different ones with the spout, and will hold it and just suck on it while it is sitting on the counter, getting only air. Could I try one with a straw or do you think he is too young?? And if I do give him a straw, would he be able to use that with formula once I get him off the bottle closer to a year. To me drinking formula from a straw seems weird, idk, maybe its just me haha. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 12:22 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sucking a straw helps with speech. I would go for it, it couldn't hurt.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 12:23 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Even tiny babies can drink from a straw, but, I wouldn't use a cup with a straw because I wouldn't know if I could clean it out good enough. I can just imagine what buils up inside those tiny straws.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I forget the brand, but you can buy disposable cups with lids and straws at walmart or any store. That's what we use and as soon as my son is done drinking we rinse them out with very hot water and put them in the dishwasher. We haven't had a problem with anything getting stuck in them. They are disposable, but they last a long time, and they are cheap! They come in packs of four.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 12:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I would say to keep encouraging the sippy cups for his age. I didn't give my son a sippy until 9 months, and he took right to it. At 6 months he's not really understanding the concept. Keep showing him how it's done, tip it up while he's sucking so he understands how to do it.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 12:49 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Many babies can't figure out a sippy cup before they turn one.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:35 PM on May. 6, 2009