How do you pray so God will listen?

Most people in my life have at least one or two good examples of how praying has gotten them through something, or when their prayer had been "answered", or when, after praying, they clearly saw the solution to their problem. I don't understand why my prayers are never answered. What am I doing wrong? I don't pray for selfish, intangible, or unrealistic things. Do I have to be baptised or christened or something? What haven't I done? What am I doing wrong? How can I pray so that I get some tiny little result?

laadeedah

Asked by laadeedah at 12:43 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There isn't a right or wrong way to pray. It's like when you pray and you listen to a child pray. They are completely different in structure.

If you aren't sure maybe you could try this. Talk to God like you're talking to us. It's not praying so much as it is having a conversation with God. When my son (1st grader) has a rough day at school he prays that night at bedtime for God to send an angel with him the next day so he will have a little extra help. That little boost of confidence for him, knowing he isn't alone and God didn't abandon him made all the difference in the world. It still does.

Whenever I feel overwhelmed I pray. Even if it's for guidance, strength, faith, etc. But I have learned that when you pray for something it isn't just given but God does give you the opportunity to make it happen. We just have to see the signs.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:46 PM on May. 6, 2009

• oh sweety!!! There is no right way or wrong way to pray!!! and God has many different ways of answering prayers that you may not realize... Maybe what your asking isnt in His plan for your life...
    or maybe its answered in a more not obvious way....
    I prayed so much that things would work out for me and my ex... i wanted to spend my whole life with him.... But things didnt work out... I was really upset and i dont understand WHY God didnt want me and him to spend forever together... but the more i go through and the more it think about it, the better off me and him BOTH are... Everything happens for a reason and its not always what WE want...Its What HE wants for our life...Give your life to him and ask him to reveal His will to you.Ask him for Guidance that you can live for Him...and trust in Him...I will be praying for you too.Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk or need extra prayer for something. :)
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 12:50 PM on May. 6, 2009

• also, sometimes, we aren't open to the answers we get. we think we pray unselfishly, but when we expect a result to our liking (?), and don't get it, we tend to think God must've been busy with someone else that day.remember jim carrey in 'bruce almighty' when he realized he could answer all those prayers/emails with one answer, 'yes', and save time? what chaos ensued! God's timing isn't as our timing. and, His answers aren't always what we want. sometimes a prayer is just a connection to God, like the pp said..a conversation between friends. sometimes that's all we need to gain strenght or insight into our 'problems'. God wants you to talk to Him about your wants/needs/desires/disappointments/thanksgivings. He wants a real conversation/relationship..seek that, and watch what happens.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:52 PM on May. 6, 2009

• In my life many, many, MANY things have happened that I prayed would be resolved and most of those prayers went unanswered....it upset me at the time but now looking back I see that if those prayers had been answered I wouldn't be where I am now and I am grateful for that! God answers prayers that he knows need answering immediately, some have to wait and some just aren't as important as we think they are in Gods eyes.....imagine it like this, when your kid is asking you over and over and over again and instead of saying 'NO' you say, maybe later....well God tells us 'maybe later' for some things. I'm sure some of your prayers have been answered whether you realize it or not, maybe not EXACTLY how you wanted it to be but in a way that God knows you need.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 12:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• You have to understand... God does listen! :-) What you need to realize is that His desire and will is greater than ours. Yes He will give us the desire of our heart according to His will. He sees the bigger picture that we do not see. Many bible greats prayed for years for things to happen and some never lived to see it come to pass.
    The bible says you have not because you ask not. It is a matter of the heart and belief!
    I have been praying for years to move... I see so many people moving to new homes or cities or even states in the last few weeks and I feel left out. What about me and my family God? His answer... Trust me! He has it all worked out even if we do not see it. It takes trust and faith to believe things will come to pass. Hard? Yes Painful? Most definatley! Worth it... yes very much so... when it comes to pass it will all be worth it for it will have done a number on my character! :-) Do not despair!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Do what YOU are comfortable with. Dont worry about what others say is the "formula" for a perfect prayer...no such thing.

Talk to him, he's your father. Talk to him like you would your earthly father. You can kneel, you can sit, you can stand, you can talk to him in your mind and heart as you do laundry.

He wont care so long as he hears from you. And dont forget to do your part in making the prayers come to fruition.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Ditto to Amaranth361.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I have to agree with Amaranth.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:36 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I go by how Jesus says for us to pray before I go to bed. When I am having a one on one conversation with him I speak from the heart, and get it all out. That is just how I do it. God bless.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• He doesn't say to pray before bed. I meant the prayer he gave us. There are several in the Bible. I go by the one he teaches.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:15 PM on May. 6, 2009