What kind of stuff do I need to discuss w/ my son about puberty?

Do I really need to address erections adn wet dreams? How in the heck do you explain that. Geez- that's scarier than talking w/ my daughter about periods.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 12:46 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ask him what he knows about it. Take his terminology and what he understands and explain from there. If you try to explain it like a doc then maybe he won't get it like an adult would. But yes, I would address all of the things that could happen so he won't feel like something is wrong with him when it does.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:49 PM on May. 6, 2009

• There are some really great book about puberty out now. I would get one and put it under his pillow with a note that you would like him to read it. Then after he has had it for a couple of weeks I would start bringing up some of the stuff in the book.
    My sister did the book under the pillow with the note signed from the puberty fairy. lol Her son knew it was her that gave him the book but they could joke about the puberty fairy and it relieved some of the tension of having "the Talk".
    Good luck, I am only a couple years away from it my oldest is ten. We have been talking about sex for the last few years anyway.
    :)
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:51 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Depending on his age, he already knows a lot from school health class. I would just talk about taking a shower, staying clean and wearing deordarant. Just let him know that you are there to talk to when he has any questions. There are really good books out there that will help. Good luck!!

to nathskitten: your 10 yr old may already be starting puberty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:44 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I took the easy route, and bought my step-son a book about it. I think it was called something like, Answers to all the questions you're too afraid to ask. And I told him that if he ever had any questions, or needed help, to not hesitate to ask. I only see him on the weekend, so I doubt he would ask me, but hubby and I try to be pretty open with our kids. We bring up some things kind of lightheartedly, and in a teasing sort of way. Just to breach the subject, and give him an opening to ask if he wants to. If he is shying away, than we don't push it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:58 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Here are books on puberty and the "birds and the bees" which will help.   http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=9      I would talk to my child AND get the book because a book is easier for a kid to reference later on and not feel embarassed to ask questions.   I like the idea of the note and "puberty fairy" that Nathskitten mentioned in her post.  Cute idea. 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 12:39 AM on May. 8, 2009