Father of 10 month old says...I am doing something wrong because our son does not sleep through the night yet.

What can I do??? Am i doing something wrong?? Yes I would love to get a full nights sleep, however I love our son so it most certainly does not bother me at all. It bothers me that he thinks this wayPlease help.

MamaLeeLee81

Asked by MamaLeeLee81 at 12:54 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it is normal for babies to not sleep through the night! my son didnt sleep through the night till he was about 10 m/o. but I had nothing to do with it (I never did cio, he self-weaned!). I still nursed him at night when he woke up hungry, or if he wasnt hungry and maybe had a bad dream or just wanted to be held, I'd glady pick him up and comfort him. it didnt effect his sleeping patterns, didnt create a bad habit! of course all babies are different, but you are doing nothing wrong!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:58 PM on May. 6, 2009

• As far as the child sleeping throught the night you are doing nothing wrong. LOTS and I mean LOTS of babies don't sleep through the night until after they are over a year. Some not until they are almost 2. Some sleep through at 6 weeks old. I personally had one of each. My oldest slept through at 6 weeks old. What a shock when his brother came along and he didn't sleep through with any regularity until he was 13 months old. I thought I was going crazy. Make sure you have a routine and do it the same way every night. Pull up some info eiother on the web or in a book and PROVE to your husband that it is NORMAL.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:05 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My daughter is 2 and makes it thru the night, in her own bed, about once a week. You should tell your child's father to pick up a book or two and read about infants and toddlers, he is wrong. They are all different. My son slept thru the night all of the time around 2 years old. Your son is normal. Tell his father, that he (the father) is the one with the issues. Good luck mama.

Anonymous

• What is exactly sleeping through the night? My son is 16 months old and goes to bed at 730 and wakes up at midnight (approx) and then goes back to sleep until 7 am. I nurse him at approx. midnight and he goes right back to bed.

Now before he turned 8 months old he went to bed at 730 and slept until 6 am and then went back to sleep until 10pm.

All babies are different and babies CHANGE-as soon as you get into a great pattern-bam, baby changes teh pattern. lol

Anyway your husband is ignorant and needs to do a little reseach and reading. Not only that but tell him to keep the negative thoughts under wraps. GL
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 1:16 PM on May. 6, 2009

• my husband said the same thing to me.. I told him to get over it - not ALL Babies sleep through the night at 6 weeks and that if i am the one waking up - he can either go in another room if it bothers him or not say hurtful things like that and keep his mouth shut unless he wants to try it himself.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Buy him a book on babies and tell him to educate himself LOL. Not all babies sleep through the night. My daughter slept through the night from 10pm - 6am since she was 3 weeks old, but she still occasionally wakes up during the night to eat, mainly when she is going through a growth spurt.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:31 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My kids were almost THREE before they slept through the night on a regular basis. My oldest had night terrors until he was about 2 1/2. My youngest would pee his bed and we would have to get up with him.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:36 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Thank you all soo much! We do have a routine. I call it the 4 B's... Bath, Book, Boob, and Bed. He goes to bed around 7:30-8:00 he wakes up at 12 and i do nurse him, then again at 4:30-5ish then a wake for the day at 6:30. I keep telling him that it is normal! Thank you ALL again
    MamaLeeLee81

Answer by MamaLeeLee81 at 1:39 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Tell him the only thing you are doing wrong is not making him get off his sorry ass and force the kid to sleep through the night! :)

Like everyone above has said, different kids have different needs and may need to wake up for a snack.
    Anonymous

• Tell him to spend some of his time complaining on researching. Or have him go talk to your pediatrician if he's that concerned.

Don't you even think about this another second.

I was so lucky... first kid slept through the night (6 hours) at 5 months. Second was at 7 weeks. Both are very good sleepers.

With our first, she would cry around 6 months old and I would just cover my head with a pillow and about 5 nights later, she was a full on sleeper.

Not sure what's going on in your night, but if you hear them, don't go to them?

Good luck... and don't worry about the hubby, unless he's hiding some childcare experience in his back pocket that qualifies him to speak up.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:55 PM on May. 6, 2009