Would you get this car repaired or just get a new one?

We have a 2000 dodge avenger. We purchased it used in 2001. By 2003 we had to have the whole transmission replaced which cost us $2000. Now there is something wrong yet again with the transmission and to fix it it will cost $1700. I say we just get rid of the car and buy a new used car. Money is tight and we've just spent $1200 recently to fix problems w both cars but I dont think that it makes sense to put more money into that car. DF needs a reliable car bc he works 2 hours away. What do you think we should do?

jortiz1978

Asked by jortiz1978 at 1:08 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Definitely buy a new car.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Buy a new one.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I always buy new cars if they continue to have problems. We tend to get a new car every 2 years and if we have to repair the same thing more than once then we sell it and get new but that is just us. Can you afford a newer car or a car payment? Do you have the money to buy it outright if you sell the van? I guess it all depends on your financial situation.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Money is tight but I am looking to get a weekend job since I am a stay at home mom in order to cover a new car payment. We just want something reliable and cheap. DF is starting his own business so if all goes well w that he will be able to cover all the bills w/o me having to work but in the meantime I am more than willing to work.
    jortiz1978

Answer by jortiz1978 at 1:14 PM on May. 6, 2009

• We only buy used, depreciation happens the minute you drive it off the lot.. With a 2 hour drive the miles are going ro rack up so your not going to get your money out of it when you want to sell..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:18 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree about buying a used car-thats all we ever buy!
    jortiz1978

Answer by jortiz1978 at 1:35 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i'd trade it in and get a "new" car. if he just needs it to get to work it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just try to go with something w/o a lot of miles that way you aren't having to do major work on it anytime soon
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:36 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Thanks for all the responses -I know the right answer just wanted to make sure I was making sense!! :)
    jortiz1978

Answer by jortiz1978 at 6:00 PM on May. 6, 2009