How do i deal with a MIL wants MY baby to call her mom and her name??

my baby calls me by her name because thats what everyoe else does and they tell her to go to me by my name not go to ur mom. you know waht i mean? now not ioonly that but she calls my mother in law mom and now shes starting to call her mom and her name and she loves it but i hate it what do i do? for them its normal to vcall them that and not grnadma what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I think you need to explain to your mil that she is stepping over a line and tell your dd to call you mom and grandma grandma.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 1:54 PM on May. 6, 2009

• She wants your daughter to call her say MOM DAWN or something. I would correct my child and say no thats grandma, I am MOMMY or MAMA. And if she calls you by your name then tell her no its MAMA you don't call me Jennifer. Its good she knows your name but she should still call you mom and her grandmother is just that she is not her mom.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:55 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Uh but she's not her Mom...you are. Just tell your MIL this is how its gonna be "I am the Mom and YOU are the Grandmother"
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Maybe you guys can reach a compromise and your child can call grandma something cute that isn't grandma! My nephew 'named' my mom Lele. We have no idea where it came from. My son calls Grandad, Gad or Ga-Dad. I think that will probably stick.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• How about something snazzy like Gigi or Nonny or Oma my favorite is Nuna. I hope thats what my sons will let me go by is Nuna.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Or Bube, Bo or I have even heard MoJo.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:00 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I think your MIL needs to realize this child has ONE mother-- and it is not her! I definately think you and your hubby need to talk to her and tell her she is out of line, and she needs to stop encouraging your dd to call her mom. You should suggest she come up with another nickname for dd to call her-- like Grams, Nonna, Grammy, memaw... something other than MOM. Good luck, I hope she will see reason and stop this behavior!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:01 PM on May. 6, 2009

• yea and now another problem i have is that when i get home my baby runs to her aunt not me! i dont know if im just not showing her enough love but when im home im with hr and kiss her and hug her and tell her i love her but she still prefers her grandma or aunt i dont know if its because the other kids also run to them or what but its pissing me off and i want to move but we cant and or i want to quit my job to be with my baby!!
    Anonymous

• my dd calls my mom momma-nanny sometimes.. my mom thinks it cute, but its really hurtful to me..
    first, correct your dd. when she calls you by name, say im not sally, im mommy! depending on her age, send her to the corner for calling you the wrong name, or ignore her (turn around & say my name is mommy, and go about your business until she corrects herself). when talking about the grandmother, always call her grandma..
    Id put the grandma in her place. Let her know its very hurtful & disrespectful what she is doing. if possible i would tell grandma if she continues to be a bad influence, expect not to see her granddaughter as much!
    Also what about your hubby. Maybe he needs to talk to him mom as well.
    Good luck! I hope everything works out well & soon! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

• and she just gets ALL happy when she calls her that and tells te world about how MY bay prefers her or her daughter! ugh i dont want to feel stupid with talking but i guess im gonna have to
    Anonymous