What are your thoughts on Co-sleeping?

All I have read say it is good and natural and it helps produce (for lack of a better word) a healthy happy baby who feels safe and fulfilled. But so many seem so against it.
Its not like I will let her until she is 2 or 3....

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 1:56 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is wonderful for the first year of life after that I think it becomes a habit. And it is a darn hard habit to break.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I'm against but to each their own and there has been deaths reported because of co-sleeping. Just use a bassinet next to your bed.

Anonymous

• I never did it. I needed my space away from my daughter at night and that time to be with my husband. She is 8 months old and only gets to sleep in the bed if her daddy is at work and that is only at 5:30 in the morning and she eats and goes back to bed until 7. Its our personal choice but I believe my bed is meant to be shared by my husband and I and not our children and us. We still need our time and babies need their own alone time as well. The longer you do it the harder it is to break.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• they've actually done studies and say it raises the risks of SIDS, you could roll over on the baby and smother her. it also does not help the baby learn how to fall asleep on their own, which they have done a study on that saying that the babies that don't learn to fall asleep on their own grow to have sleep problems. i'll find the link and post it.
    Anonymous

• None of my kids have sleep problems. They never have had sleep problems. All other mammals sleep with their young, it is ridiculous to put your baby in a cage and make them sleep on their own. Most of the world population has co-slept. Why is it Americans have such hangups about it?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:02 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i also agree with brailynsmama08, there have actually been people who have co-slept, and the father would sleep on the couch cuz he a) he couldn't sleep, b) was afraid he'd roll on the baby, ect. also the sex, they wouldn't be able to have sex while the baby is in the bed, so what's the use? there have actually been cases that the husbands have slept on the couch for over a year. that's just way out of control.
    Anonymous

• my daughter will b 2 in June and is still sleeping w-us. We wanted to co sleep and we love it. I love her cuddling up to me at night. #2 is due end Oct/Nov. She will not be co sleeping but will be in bassinet right beside me untl she is big enough to co sleep. Hubby and I can't stand the thought of our dd being in her room on the other side of the house and her bed won't fit in our room.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 2:05 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I did it until my son was in school. He slept all night from 3 months. He is independent and healthy and happy. He is 13 and will go to sleep on his own at 9:00 and sleep all night. No sleep problems here. I was a heavy sleeper until I had him. I never came close to rolling over on him. In fact, kids breath better when co-sleeping because they follow the breathing of their mom. I FULLY AGREE and SUPPORT CO-SLEEPING!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I absolutely love it. My dd is 8 months old and we all sleep better!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:22 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i love it! it made nursing easier. we all slept more. i enjoyed the extra cuddle time. she is 2.5 we still do co-sleep as of now.. after her 2nd bday we put her in her own bed. but 2mo later she ended up in the hospital (not related) for a week & once she got home I wanted her back in our bed. now we are about to get her back into going into her own bed again.. she prefers sleeping with us (I mean who doesnt prefer to sleep next to someone! Its not just clengy kids!) but its time :) Im sure like the first time around it wont be that hard... At her age I can explain stuff to her & she can understand it. a 1yr old really doesnt understand it.. so i like the later better..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:24 PM on May. 6, 2009