What to expect with a vaginal Ultrasound

My doctor recently told me that I'll probably have to get a vaginal ultrasound at my 20 wk ultrasound visit because I'm overweight. What should I expect? Is it possible to have a normal ultrasound even with the extra weight?

ArmyM0mmy2Be

Asked by ArmyM0mmy2Be at 2:04 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm over weight and they did an abdominal one. I guess it just depends on HOW overweight. But in early pregnancy I did have 2 vaginal ultrasounds. It almost looks like a big dildo and they put a BUNCH of goo on it, which I hate, they put waaay too much. As long as you are relaxed it shouldn't hurt at all, maybe just a LITTLE discomfort, but you get to see your baby so its not bad =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:50 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i think they do vaginal more often now it doesnt hurt if that is what you are asking
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:05 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I had one for other reasons, it doesn't hurt. Just an odd feeling.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:06 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I was over weight and got a abdominal ultra sound. They will do it if they are not getting good measurements and what they need. It looks like a big tampon or the top of a douche bottle and has the ultra sound on the tip, they insert is and it feels like a vibrator or what have you. Nothing major only makes you want to pee even more.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:07 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I had one a few months ago. It did hurt, but the nurse said ordinarily they didn't. Even if it hurts it is just for a short while, so nothing to get worried about.

Answer by Bmat at 2:08 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It shouldn't hurt and they get a closer view that way. I had one done in very early pregnancy and another while not pg to diagnose period problems.
    Anonymous

• IM OVER WEIGHT I HAD IT DONE IN THE EARLY WEEKS. WHEN THEY KNOW IT IS TO SMALL TO SEE THEY DO IT TO GET A BETTER LOOK AT THE BABY, I REALLY DONT LIKE IT BUT AFTER IT IS DONE IM OK, I REALLY THINK ITS VIOLATING MY PRIVACY CONSIDERING THEY ARE JUST A ULTRA SOUND TECH AND NOT A GYNOCOLOGIST BUT THEY DO GIVE YOU A CHOICE FOR YOU TO PUT IT IN OR THEY CAN "LIKE THAT HELPS". OMG I CAN ONLY WAIT TILL I GET MY DONE AND OVER WITH I HAVE ONE COMING UP REAL SOON WHICH IM NOT HAPPY ABOUT, BUT THE ONLY POSITIVE THING COMES OUT OF IT IS TO SEE THAT YOU HAVE A HEALTHY GROWING BABY AND ALL IS FORGOTTEN. IT WILL BE OK JUST THINK POSITIVE.
    mommy19741974

Answer by mommy19741974 at 6:44 PM on May. 6, 2009