my 3yo wants to get married!!!!

she's been watching too many of those disney princess movies. did you notice that a lot of those girls got married at 16 (sleeping beauty, the little mermaid, i think theres 1 more but i forgot). i tell her she can't yet but can when she's older but she got mad and ran out of the room. it's cute but kinda scary.. how would you have handled this? lol

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 2:08 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, I have the same thing, except my daughter is 4. She is convinced that she will be getting married when she is 5. She wants to get married so she can have babies! She knows who she is marrying and has her "wedding" dress sitting in my closet. We keep telling her that she can get married when she is 25!!! So, she wakes up the next morning saying, "Mommy, Daddy, I'm 25 now!!! I can get married!" It's getting to be quite annoying.

BTW, to the other one that said to have a pretend wedding...the little boy's mom and I were just discussing this the other day. We said we should have a pretend wedding and everything!

I told my husband that we could look at this as a good thing...at least she sees marriage as being a good thing! We're being good examples, I guess!
    tlkmom

Answer by tlkmom at 9:54 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Just ignore it
    Anonymous

• Tell her one day she will get married. Ask her if she knows who she wants to marry? Our neighbors son is 3 and says he is going to marry my 8 month old little girl and his 4 year old brother wants to marry our friends 4 year old daughter. ITs a normal thing and a phase, she might want to marry her daddy.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• its a silly little girl thing i would play along with her. well who do you want to marry? and who is going to be your maid of honor?
    and how do you know that the princesses were sixteen when they all got married? just curious lol
    Anonymous

• in sleeping beauty, she pricks her finger on the spindle of the spinning wheel before the sun goes down on her 16th birthday & ariel says "i'm 16 years old daddy, i'm not a child!" i just thought that was interesting and it always stood out to me.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:24 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i would just let her have a pretend mini- wedding! it's just her natural reaction to seeing the romanticism in movies -not like we consider romance- but just the idea of a fun party! And her getting to dress up and feel beautiful! Have you & she been toa wedding? Mainly just know that she is role playing and that's is very important to toddlers/young kids. playing dress up, helping with chores it's all normal part of being a toddler! it's not about a marital relationship to her!
    Enjoy the reception! make cupcakes with white icing and invite a neighbor or cousin to the party!- I'd keep it small- 1 or 2 other kids and their mom, unless you are in a playgroup- that'd be a fun play date- a pretend wedding. anyways have fun with it- that's the main idea- it needn't be perfect or detailed use clothes u have on hand. Pre-schoolers start to understand the pretend world as a non permanent part of life. So just have fun!
    pkrdiesel

Answer by pkrdiesel at 2:52 PM on May. 6, 2009

• This is pretty normal. My son's girlfriend wants to marry him (they'll be 4 in June) and she already picked out her "wedding" dress months ago. However, my son only wants to marry me. I would say let her pretend as much as she can, but if it becomes a battle, then gently let her know that it's not something you're ready to discuss yet.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• my sons friend calls my daughter his wife. its cute. they are just role playing just like playing pirates or whatever else little kids do. as for the disney princesses those stories were written when it was common to marry at that age, and yes most of them did marry around the age of 16 ( i used to work for disney)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:24 PM on May. 6, 2009

• This is normal! My 3 year old talks about getting married every day and shw always says that shw is going to marry her daddy!
    Anonymous