Sleeping??

How do you get your baby to sleep in their crib from the swing? Once Dresden is getting tired it's pretty obvious but he'll fight going to sleep SO hard unless he has two things: his favorite blanket that his grandma made him (it has holes, so I'm not scared about him not being able to breathe), and his swing. It'll knock him right out!

If I try to put him in his crib after rocking him (even if he's asleep already) he'll wake up right away or within 10-20mins when he'll sleep two hours in the swing! If he's not asleep but just really tired, I'll turn the mobile on and he'll like it for a little bit but then get pissed off and won't go to sleep till he's in his swing.

Oh and by the way the only reason I'm really worried about it is I'm pregnant AGAIN and I know I'll need the swing for the newborn.

ours

Asked by ours at 2:12 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Have you tried the baby beats machine for the bed or the thing to hook to the crib to make it vibrate. If he is tired he will go back to sleep so let him cry it out.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• He doesn't like anything that vibrates sadly. When I let him cry it out I count to 60 like 1 mississippi...2 and so on. Then I go get him because I figure he's just too upset or isn't quite ready.
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My first advice is to not even use the swing for your next baby! It may be convienient for you but you are not giving your baby the tools he/she needs to sooth themselves to sleep!! I consulted a childcare expert because my 18 month old still wasn't sleeping through the night and she told me I had to just let her cry! Because if you set a time limit before you charge in to save the day the baby will cry until you come, because you always do! If he needs soothing, walk in the room talking softly telling him he is ok, lay him down, pat his tummy and say goodnight. It is really really hard, but after 3 or 4 nights you will be so glad that you were strong!
    purdy222

Answer by purdy222 at 2:26 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Well originally Dresden just enjoyed the swing and it was a source of entertainment for him when he was young and really couldn't do/focus on much. Then it turned into a comfort thing and where he wanted to sleep.

You're right though, I think I will still use it just right at first witth baby #2, but then give it away so I'm not tempted.
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:33 PM on May. 6, 2009