What routines or excersice should one start with, when first working out?

I'm going to start working out FINALLY!! LOL. But I have no clue on where to start, I have a gym membership. I really want to at least lose 20 -30 lbs I have no time limit really, I want to work out my stomach, arms , legs etc.

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 2:19 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• What is excersice? lol

Do 1/2 hour of cardio and then do some light weights.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:20 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Walking is safe and good for the lungs, heart, muscles, joints, bones. Swimming is good except doesn't do much for the bones. Cycling. A low level aerobics class. Some light weights. Stretches, Yoga. Have a variety of exercises that you enjoy since this will exercise all of you well and also keep you interested. If you hate a particular exercise, find something else. Start slowly and build up gradually- this is a major policy. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 2:23 PM on May. 6, 2009

• weights first then cardio. if you need to lose weight do at least 45 min of cardio then 45 min of weights focusing on one muscle group
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 2:43 PM on May. 6, 2009

• and educate yourself on good nutrition b/c working out is no good if you eat junk
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 2:44 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Ok, heres the full monte.

Do a 8 min. warmup. That means 8 min. on the treadmill or walking track, or eliptical. You aren't trying to break a sweat at this point, just simply warm up your muscles so that they won't be strained when you do toning.

Then 30 min. strength training. That can be a class, weights, or exercise routine. Work upper body one day, lower the next, alternating with core. This gives your muscles 24 hours to rebuild. If you use hand weights or machines use the weight that becomes difficult on the 12th rep. Begin with 2-3 sets of 10 or 12 reps. Do NOT overstrain in your exurberance or you'll pay the price with a strained muscle which will put you backwards.

Next, do 30 min. cardio. Cardio comes last b/c when you do cardio first, your body goes straight for the mucles to its fuel after it uses the sugar in your body. You want to build muscle, reduce fat. Cardio burns fat for energy.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:50 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Do this 6 days with one day of rest. Be sure and change up what routine/weights or machines after 3 weeks to create muscle confusion. The body gets used to the same old thing every day. Make it wonder what's going on by changing up what you do.

If you stick to 1500 cals (but no less) or 1800 if you are really working out hard, you will lose weight along with the daily exercise.

Be sure and keep moving all day long. Drink water all day long. Take sugar and starches out of the diet and I promise you WILL lose.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:53 PM on May. 6, 2009