Should I feel guilty for wanting my baby to come a couple weeks early?

My husband is in the Army and he's deploying sometime in October. (They give you about two weeks notice or so I've heard) My due date is October 1st. Should I feel guilty for wanting my baby to be just a couple weeks early? I know that the baby is "fully developed" at 37 weeks, but will it be healthy like 40 week babies? I just want my husband to have time with the baby before he leaves. You're never guaranteed that your soldier will come home.

ArmyM0mmy2Be

Asked by ArmyM0mmy2Be at 2:27 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• WANTING and actually trying to induce are two different things. Heck I'm only 36 weeks and I want this baby out NOW lol. I know it will come when its ready. You arent selfish. Just think positive thoughts and hope for the best.
    Anonymous

• I dont think you should feel guilty...a week or two early probably wouldnt cause any problems to the babybut the earlier it is the greater the chances there will be a problem.
    Anonymous

• ive wanted my baby out since I got pregnant...its if you do something about it that can cause a problem
    Anonymous

• No you shouldn't feel guilty. My son came at 36 weeks and he was little, but healthy just like any full term baby. However...

You will probably have more than two weeks notice. It's more like a month or more.

Your husband needs to talk to his chain of command. They might let him leave on a later flight (like with trail party) because you're expecting a baby so close to the date they are leaving.

You can also talk to your doctor about inducing you at least on time and maybe a week or so early. That way you don't go overdue.

Good Luck and congrats!
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If it is selfish than most moms are selfish! I was so done at the end of my three pregnancies. It isn't selfish. Now if you do things that are dangerous to make your baby come early then that is selfish. IE...caster oil, blue/black cohash.
    Don't worry you are normal.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:55 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Don't feel guilty. I am 38 weeks pregnant with my second child and I want her to come right now!! We already know she is healthy and her lungs look good. You will probably want to make sure the baby is ready to come before wishing or trying to induce labor naturally.
    Anonymous