How long should

babies sleep in a crib? I'm five weeks pregnant and have a five month old (I know I didn't waste aaaannnyyy time haha). I'm hoping that maybe after keeping baby #2 in bassinet for a few months, if by then my son we'll be ready for a kid's bed and I can move the baby to his crib.

My son should be about a year and a half by then.

ours

Asked by ours at 2:37 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at 18 months he will be way too young for a big kid bed and he won't stay in it. He simply won't be developmentally ready.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:38 PM on May. 6, 2009

• How long then? Do you know?
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:39 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My kids are 17 months apart and they were both in cribs for a while. They were at least 2 before getting out of the crib.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:41 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I did my oldest at 2 and my twins are 20 months now and we have been talking about doing it soon. I think it depends on the child. You could always use a pack n play for awhile so you dont have to buy another crib
    klpeter

Answer by klpeter at 2:42 PM on May. 6, 2009

• They should be at least two, but I will be leaving my daughter in hers for as long as she will stay in it. If you don't want to buy another crib you could use a pack 'n play for a while, but I don't think it will last a year before the baby is too big for it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:42 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My daughter is 17 months old and she is in a day bed right now and doing great. We needed her out of the crib for the baby that is due in a couple months =] and wanted to get her used to her big girl bed. Whatever is best for you and your family =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I WANNA BE PREGO TOO!!! lol serouisly my son is 5 months old too! We're trying! We might be crazy but we can be crazy together!!! I'm planning to put my son in a "big boy bed" by that time if we can't afford another crib! I say go for it but put sides on it like the removable kind!! GL
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 3:34 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If your child will stay int he bed, its perfectly safe. I waited til my son was 2-3 but we didnt have a lil one on the way.But definantly transition your son into big bed before the bay and be prepared for him to maybe regress and want the crib when the new baby comes. good luck. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My DD was 18 mos when she moved into a twin sized bed. We use a side rail, and have it up against the wall on the other side. It all depends on the kid.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:44 PM on May. 6, 2009