Moving to a third world country?

My dh and I have decided that we want to move to Colombia South America within the next two years. This is something we have talked about for some time, and we have spent quite a bit of time there as well. We will have plenty of money saved up, and a lot of family there as well.

The problem is that when I have told my family and friends here in the United States, they have nothing nice or encouraging to say about the matter. In fact they can be downright rude. Saying things like" ewww why would you want to live there?" " are you crazy?" " have you lost your mind?".
I know it shoulnd't bother me, but it does. What can I say to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would be prepared to present facts to them. I know my mom worries about us every time we move overseas to anywhere. They are probably concerned about your safety with all the previous violence in Colombia. If you have a way to reassure them, the do it. If you know what you are getting into and you go because you want to, no one should argue that with you.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Say good bye and just go

Answer by admckenzie at 2:48 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Just respond........."So does this mean I can delete you from my address book?"
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:51 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It may be that they are thinking they will miss you terribly. So give them assurance that you'll be fine and that you'll visit their area from time to time, and that they can visit you. Address their worries, medical care? safety? unusual diseases or vermin? schooling?

Answer by Bmat at 2:54 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Its your life, not theirs! Go have a great time! They will get over it eventually
    IceMistress105

Answer by IceMistress105 at 2:55 PM on May. 6, 2009