how do i wean them off of bottles?

im not sure how to wean my 17 mo daughters off of the bottles.do any of you moms have any suggestions?

twinmumma

Asked by twinmumma at 2:53 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All my boys were off by thier 1st bday. Just take them away, throw them away. If they can drink from a sippy or a reg cup they dont need them you just have to do it.
    klpeter

Answer by klpeter at 2:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• k ..im jus scared of how they will react
    twinmumma

Answer by twinmumma at 3:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• thanx
    twinmumma

• They aren't going to be happy. You can try weaning them, but htey are old enough to put up more of a fight. I replaced one bottle a day with a sippy cup for a week until they were gone. DD drank less, but didn't mind the transition. Out of site works well too. Just prepare for some cries and offer chips or pretzels or crackers. Something that will make them thursty. They are less likely to fight the source of the milk or juice when they really want a drink! :)
    Anonymous

• Girl, you follow your instinct! I'm telling you I am going through a living hell right now because I threw my daughter's out. I prepared myself for "some cries" but nothing to this extent. Her heart is broken and she looks and acts like her best friend just died. I swear she is going through a grieving process.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

• thanx mamas
    twinmumma

Answer by twinmumma at 6:24 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Mine were all off by their first birthdays too. We just started giving them sippy cups and they kind of just stopped taking the bottle on their own really. Just start giving her a sippy more often and she'll get the hang of it.
    CrystalJC73

Answer by CrystalJC73 at 8:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:43 PM on May. 6, 2009

• yea my mom said she didnt take me off the bottle till i was about that age too..and my husband was 4 so i dont understand why the doctors all of a sudden want the bottles take away so young..but i like your answer the best so i will try that and when they want to give it up and they are ready then i will worry about it then..
    twinmumma

Answer by twinmumma at 11:53 PM on May. 6, 2009

• We switched Aiden to sippy cups but left the nipples on. He isn't ready for just plain sippy cups yet. But we have started using straws with all of our drinks and when he sees us do it he wants to do it too. So now he has a sippy cup with a straw in it and he uses that to drink. I don't know why doctors want to do that all of th sudden but they will stop when they are ready hun. Maybe try straws with them? But I wouldn't stress about it!
    CaliMama88

Answer by CaliMama88 at 4:43 PM on May. 7, 2009