BBQ Advice?

We're throwing a Mother's Day BBQ at my new house, and I'm kind of a novice when it comes to entertaining. Usually I'm just a "helper" and not a "thrower". We're having brats, burgers, and chicken. Any good advice on how NOT to look like I don't know what I'm doing? We'll probably be in and outside a lot, cuz it's a new house, and we've got 2 big TVs and a wii. (Company can't resist the wii!)

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 2:55 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My planning always begins with a list. Lists consists of menu, shopping, decorations, general set-up (like tables chairs decorations. As I finish the shopping stuff I mark it off, I mark everything off as I do it. It helps me personally stay organized and not side tracked. If you are providing just the meat and others are providing sides and drinks you make a list of that too and then call to confirm they know what they are bringing. If you are doing it all...plan a simple menu or things you can pick up premade. A party , even a small one is a lot of work. I hate not being able to enjoy my own.so..I keep it simple and do as much ahead as possible. Don't forget to plan for kids. Oh and regardless of how sure you are you have enough pick up an extra four pack of T>P>..lol..my first party ever we ran out and I was soooo embarrassed. Good Luck
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:08 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Good call on the TP! I have one guest that always seems to run me out, and she'll be there!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 3:17 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Make a schedule of how long it takes to cook everything so you will know when to start it! I started cooking at 2pm one time and the party was at 5. I didnt have enough "oven" time to cook everything b/c it took an hour for this, 30 mins for that, and so on. I was so mad. make your cold stuff the day before so you will have more time the day of.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:26 PM on May. 7, 2009