is 10 minutes apart to early??

I live 30-45 minute drive away from the hospital my baby is going to be born at so should I leave when the contractions are 10 minutes apart or is that to early? Should I wait until they are 5-7 minutes apart?

hug4akiss

Asked by hug4akiss at 2:57 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you are full term I would wait until 5-7 minutes apart. If however you start having pressure in you bum or are doubling over from the pain go in earlier. This advice is for a first baby. If you have had a previous baby go by your last delivery.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:00 PM on May. 6, 2009

• The hospital my daughter was born at was 45minutes to an hour away. I left when they were about 7ish minutes apart =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:00 PM on May. 6, 2009

• well I ask because my b/f just had hers and she left when they were 5 minutes apart and almost didnt make it...but apparently she just goes by fast
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 3:01 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I would wait til 5-7 min apart, especially if it's your first child.
    Anonymous

• I would call your birthing center to see what they suggest and make sure you tell them that you have some distance. I think I would just go ahead in though even if it isnt delivery time you will know for sure if you are dilated or not and also since you have some distance they could get closer apart by the time you get there. Good Luck!
    Elesha1981

Answer by Elesha1981 at 3:06 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I'd wait until they were 5 minutes apart. The leading cause for c-sections is faulure to progress and this happens because as soon as you step into a hospital they put you on a clock. It doesn't matter if you are dialated. You can be at 4 cm for weeks and you can be hard and closed and have your baby by dinner.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My labor progressed very quickly with my son. When my labor started mine were already about 4-5 minutes apart, by the time I left my house about an hour and half later they were 2-3 mintues apart and we left for the hospital, when I go there I was 7cm dilated and 2 hours later was a full then and pushing, 20minutes later my son was born after just 3hrs 52mins of labor.
    It varies, I'd call your hospital and see what they suggest. I think going when there about 7mins apart it is a good time...see what your Dr. suggests.
    good luck momma
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 4:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I would go with what you feel best to do! But I would agree that if they start getting a little closer just go. I know how exciting and scary it is when you have your first. My first was induced so I didn't have to worry about rushing to the hospital. Good luck! I'm excited for you! :-)
    CrystalJC73

Answer by CrystalJC73 at 8:06 PM on May. 6, 2009