There has to be folks who can help me with my DD and her fear (I think) of colored folks.

How do I get my 18 month old to not be scared around folks of different color? I just don't get it. I have 2 nephews and 1 niece that are mixed and a BIL who is black. She is around them all the time but when it comes to others she freaks out!! Even when watching the cartoon Little bill!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Exposure is really all you can do. Because we live in an area with limited exposure to black people I buy lots of dolls and toys that are black...my DD for years called them her chocolate babies, even have an embaressing story to go with that :). My BIL and neices and nephews are also black. SO I work extra hard to acclimate my kids.

I just had a thought...does your BIL do anything to your DD that makes her uncomfortable, my oldest would react the same way and I could not figure out why, then my best friend, at the time, and I fiured it out. My best friends step dad was black and he would always pinch my son's cheeks..which he hated. So he associated that with people who were black. Once we figures that out and the step dad stopped he got much better.......just a thought.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Colored? Wow. Ok, on to the question, sometimes kids are unsure of people who look different. Exposure is key. Your own attitude is key. If she asks questions answer them frankly.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 3:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I dont' know how to tell you to work around that with your child.. but if it makes you feel any better, our two small dogs are afraid of tanned people.. lol.. It's sad. Has your child ever seen a rated R movie or something like that with a black person beating up someone or yelling or anything?
    Anonymous

• She is 18 months, surely she won't be asking me questions. I  would like to know what I can do. Why she freaks out with other folks but not her own family. Doesn't makes sense to me.

Anonymous

• No anon not at all. I will only allow my children to watch Disney and PBS. I don't even watch R movies.

Anonymous

• Exposure. My son is mixed himself and stares at his grandma, aunts, dad, tv like he is facinated.
    Anonymous

• Oh and noggin.
    Anonymous

• My daughter freaked with men who had beards. She never watched TV or movies so I don't know where it came from. I think it was just different from her family so it scared her. None of the men in my family had beards so it was strange for her. For her, I never forced her to be really close or be held by someone who scared her. I let her stay in my arms until she was comfortable around the person. I was very calm & let her know by my posture & attitude that things were ok. I let her feel safe but at the same time didn't acknowledge her fears verbally. Eventually, it went away. Seems to be that this is something similar. She knows her family & they don't frighten her but strangers do. Let her know that things are ok & don't force her into any situation that truly scares her.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 3:12 PM on May. 6, 2009

• OMG no, my BIL adores her! She is his lil princess. Always goes to him. Maybe I can buy her some black baby dolls. My other children do not see color like her that's why this is so mind boggling to me. We do live in a major city with all races but do not get out much during the week.

Anonymous

• I'd make a point of pointing out different skin tones in any storybooks you read to her. One example that comes to mind is the children in the book "Brown Bear, Brown Bear". Just like all the animals in the book come in different colors, the children do to.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:17 PM on May. 6, 2009