Should twins be seperated in school

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on May. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes. It helps them gain independence and helps them solialize with others...focus on the subject at hand
    Anonymous

• my nephews, now 9, claimed their "independence" at 4. They decided they weren't twins anymore. they wanted to be in seperate classes in school and be their own person. I think it's great. Many schools req twins to be in seperate classes, but they wanted to be
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 3:09 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I don't have twins, but as a teacher who had twins over the years, I would say yes. The twins that are separated seem to have more friends and be more independent. Twins that stay together often exclude others, which hurts the feelings of other students in addition to preventing them from being more social. That is just my opinion though.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My son has a set of twin friends. In Kindergarten they were all in the same class, my son and these two siblings. Then, the teacher recommended they be separated. So now my son is in the class with the little boy, but they are still close to the sister. I think they have actually done better this year than last as an observer of both for both circumstances.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If they were two siblings close in age who ended up in the same grad because of birthdays/cutoff dates or even one being held back...would you have them in the same or separate classes?

Just because they share a birthday, doesn't mean they aren't individuals. I think they should be treated as such...given their own time to explore their surroundings in their own ways, spread their wings as far as they EACH want to and develop on their own.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:04 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I'm a twin. My mother made sure that my sister and I never were in the same class up until high school. Why? Competition was a big issue. She didn't want one of us crying because the other did better on a spelling test. We still always had the same friends...we just got twice as many. Another issue is that we would cling to each other, only talk to each other, and would not have made as many friends if we weren't forced to be separate. When high school came around, we had to be in all the same classes just because they were the AP classes...let's just say "thank's mom for protecting us from each other as long as you could."
    blondiefemme

Answer by blondiefemme at 1:19 AM on May. 8, 2009