traumatic?

so ive been trying to wean my six month old for a couple weeks now, but am not having any success. a friend of mine had a similar difficulty with her son when she was my age *shes in her fifties now* and suggested taking a strike kind of thing. she suggested taking my daughter to my mom's house for a couple days so she is off the breast cold turkey. but ive read that it can be traumatic and of course i dont want to do that, but i cant seem to get her motivated towards a bottle or sippy. HELP!!!

MamaMinpy

Asked by MamaMinpy at 3:08 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What I did was skip one feed for a week. Doc said to do at least every one feed then every third, etc. until you're off. That way both you and baby wean well. Take more than a week if you need to.

Are you pumping or giving formula? If you are going to formula, you may need to mix it or toy around with the temperature until it's closer to that of freash breast milk. Baby will need to wean onto formula just as much as she needs to wean off the breastmilk.

If you are pumping, try dipping the nipple of the bottle into the warmed milk so it smells like you instead of the nipple. Also, have someone else offer the bottle instead of you. You = breast to baby. It will take time for that to change. There is going to be a lot of crying, but it will get better.
    Anonymous

• Why are you weaning her at 6 months? I mean...its none of my business but I don't get why you'd put her on a bottle after you've made it this far. If you wean her off the breast cold turkey, not only is it going to be traumatic for the baby but you will be very engorged and in a lot of pain.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 3:12 PM on May. 6, 2009

• theres alot of reasons im needing to wean her. she's been teething since she was two months old, and now at 6 mo, i just cant take the pain anymore. im in tears everytime she eats and its more than exhausting. and on top of that, i can never get out of the house for more than an hour away from her because a babysitter is out of the question when she wont eat, even from dad. and on top of those, im trying to get a job. the only jobs i can seem to find in my current situation are in the middle of the night, or pay minimum wage for late shifts....ive done it this far because its been best for her, but shes healthy, happy, and growing and we need to move onto the next steps...i just need help in finding out how.
    MamaMinpy

Answer by MamaMinpy at 3:16 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I would do it slowly. and try and get someone else to feed her the bottle and go out of the room to if you can. ive tried getting my daughter to take a bottle for a long time and shes 6 months but will only take it if im not around and not all the time so im still working on it but if you go cold turkey shell get hungry enough and eventually take it. hope it goes well
    KM52mom

Answer by KM52mom at 3:19 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Also, search a few other mommy sites such as baby center.com for more tips. The more moms you can find, the more liekly you are to find a tip that works for you.
    Anonymous

• Well, here's the thing. I see what you're saying. It seems like a midway approach might be good? Your baby doesn't need to nurse every hour, and I think it's reasonable for you to impose limits on the nursing. Ideally, you wouldn't, ideally, and we don't live in an ideal world. You can choose to feed her really well, and be gone for 2.5 hours, KNOWING that she will not starve. You can be confident that she will be okay. And you need to start limit setting with the biting. Go to a bf group and get advice on that. My 7 month old has 6 teeth, and it's not an issue, because I have been limit setting with biting. While I nurse on demand, and am an attached parent, that doesn't mean I am a doormat or a teething toy. I comfort her and feed her at my breast, but I don't tolerate pain. I gently taught her not to. When she bit, I pulled her to my breast so she would unclamp, the set her down. Worked within a day for us.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:21 PM on May. 6, 2009