How to talk to your 10 year old daughter (who is going on 35) about sex.....

Sheila_la121

Asked by Sheila_la121 at 3:11 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just to get the conversation started, I tell (actually make up) a story (my favorite is about 'sexting), as if knew someone who had a kid involved, and ask my kid if she has heard of it? What does she know about it? Do kids in school talk about it? Would she ever do something like that?

I remember about periods I did the same thing - around 10, asked her if the girls at school had their periods? Did she know what it was (she did)? Did she have any questions (she did... like how often, etc.) and then I added a bit more info about why women have periods, etc.

In a sense, it might be easier if you can get her talking, and then just correct, add to the information. I think in a sense when they talk, it means more... rather than hearing it as a lecture (like later, asking if she has thought about sex, when does she think it is appropriate, what are the risks of sex, etc.) They often know more than you think!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 12:06 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Get a book on it from the children's section of the library and read it with her, pausing often to ask if she has any questions.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 3:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• what does she know so far? Discussions about bodily functions, including sex, are ongoing conversations that start practically from birth.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:09 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I just asked mine what she knew so far and what she wants to know about. Be honest!! dont give body parts the cutesy names, refer to them in their proper names, then you can throw in the cutesy things if she's uncomfortable with the correct terminology.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 1:06 AM on May. 7, 2009