What's up with all of these obese toddlers?

I'm not trying to be rude or make anyone feel bad. Everywhere I go I see overweight families, with small kids that are just as unhealthy looking as the parents. I know sometimes people can have disorders and can't help it, but there is no way there can be that many. Is it the video games and mac n cheese? I'm not thin and I don't always eat right, but I always feed my son healthy. Even if I'm having a t.v. dinner I will make him something good. I don't think it's fair to the kids to let them get so obese at 3 and 4 years old.

So what do you guys think? And if there is something going on with the kids besides mcdonalds 3 times a day, what is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• would you consider my dd obese? she will be 3 in july, is a little over 3ft tall and weighs 42lbs....

b/c just so you know she dosen't eat unhealthy food, she loves vegetables & fruit, she's "abnormally" tall for her age, but then again so was i
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:30 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Think it's none of your concern if it's not your child. I also think that because obesity is genetic, it's not always what children are eating that is making them big. It's great that you're keeping your child healthy, and I am too. I worry about him because I'm big and I'm working hard at losing weight (successfully!) and being healthy. I am setting an example for him, but he may indeed inherit that gene and that's something that is always in the back of my mind.

I don't worry myself with other people's children...parents have enough to worry about with our own.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 3:31 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Couldn't tell you. My son has movies and video games galore with no restriction on how long he can spend with them...mainly because he doesn't spend time with them. He would rather be outside anyday than sitting inside. He also gets to eat whatever whenever......also because he is 13 and is 77lbs and 4'10". Not anywhere close to being obese...even underweight. he has been like this always. He ate healthy when he didn't have the abitity to speak up about it. And I encouraged outside play and activity too. So, it just stuck I guess.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:32 PM on May. 6, 2009

• So what do you guys think? And if there is something going on with the kids besides mcdonalds 3 times a day, what is it?

who said they get it 3 times a day my kids are lucky to get it once in 3 months jeez get over it and know your facts first

Anonymous

• thank you !!!! someone who isnt blind. at my last wic appointment the nutritionist acted like i starve my kids cause they are on the lower end of the weight chart. im only 5'4 and 110 my hubby is 6'2 and 175 so with that right there our kids arent going to be heavy. we dont eat junk for except for rare occasions and dont eat fast food and are VERY active. . and those who have over weight kids it makes it hard on us who worry about health issues and are trying to teach our kids a healthy life style. im tired of being ridiculed cause my kids arent fat and treated like my kids are starving when they arent.

bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 3:52 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My little squirt is 3 1/2 and weighs 35 lbs. He is so skinny. He is going through the eat very little satge right now.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 3:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Ok, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I'm going to be outspoken here. First of all, I don't know about toddlers: some still have plenty of baby chub. But I've seen kids a little older that are for sure obese, and I think it is mean. Yep, I said mean. I think the argument about genetics is mostly HOGWASH. Yes, there is some genetic component, but even with the genetic makeup, kids don't get obese on a healthy diet (yes, I said obese, I'm not talking about natural chub, there IS a difference!). My dad was a fat kid, and even though he lost most of it as an adult, he lived with a complex forever. Neither of his parents were fat, but he and his brother were big, and his brother never lost it. His brother's whole family were obese, and they ate crap. Obese kids usually become obese adults, and I consider that parents faults. And that, I believe is CRUEL and irresponsible.
    Anonymous

• I only worry about what goes in our boys mouths, as for everyone elses children, that's for them to worry about..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:04 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Chubby babies and kids are cute...obese ones are not and are usually followed by obese parents. Not only does it instil bad eating habits in children it also limits their mobility. They wont be able to run and play like others and 9 times out of ten get made fun of because of it. I want my son to be healthy so we have no pop and carrots, apples, and bananas for snacks
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:08 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I can tell you are merely reflecting and not attacking, which to be truthful I have reflected on the same question you're asking now. I came to the conclusion that there are a lot of lazy and poor parenting. You can say video games, added with television, eating out, not feeding their children only during meal times, or giving their kids more than the needed amount of milk a child needs per day. There are a lot of issues, people don't walk their children or take them out much anymore, no more pushing them to play outside, I know a lot of people that don't know how to cook which surprises me. I think what surprises me is how often people go out to eat or do fast food, we eat fast food no more than 2-3 times a year and it's usually when we're in the middle of nowhere heading to from one state to next on vacation, we might go out to eat when family comes in town, so that's maybe twice a year.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:33 PM on May. 6, 2009