Are cell phone companies allowed to sell your phone number to telemarketers, bill collectors, etc?

I have two cell phones in my name. I use one and my husband uses one. I only give my number to places i owe. And i have some bad credit cards. Anyways i always get the calls on my phone but latley husband has been getting them on his number. So i am wandering if att is saleing the numbers? How else would they get the other number. The only way i can figure is if they are saleing the numbers and since they are both in my name, they are calling it. And that cannot happen. Hubby is very busy during the day and uses that phone for business and does not have time for calls like that expecially when he is around other people. Who should i call? Can you opt out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• i would call your phone company and ask them if they have given your phone number out. there should be a way you can tell them not to so that people don't call him.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:35 PM on May. 6, 2009

• actually if they are collectors you are probably being skip traced. It is where they use credit bureaus, neighobrs, companies etc. to get your current number. Try googling it I am sure it will come up.
    Anonymous

• I imagine that you are being skip-traced in the best effort to get ahold of you. You can answer the phone and tell them not to call that number though.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 4:30 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If all you use are cell phones, and you have that # on file with any of your rent, mortgage, utilities, employer, anything like that, it can show up on your credit report. My cell # has been listed on my credit report multiple times because we haven't had a land line in years so that is the # that always gets reported. I have had it removed. But these places skip trace and track you down. I highly doubt the cell company is selling anything. Collectors have tons of tricks in their bag to get a hold of you.
    Anonymous