Should child support payments only be used for the child?

For example, only using the child support to buy food, clothes, toys and other things specifically for the child, NOT rent, water bill, electricity, etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why shouldn't some of it go towards rent and utilities etc? Doesn't the child use electricity, water, watch tv? Don't you have to have an additional room? That costs more. What people FAIL to REALIZE is that when you use the money on the child, buying clothes, etc. You have more of YOUR MONEY left to buy things for yourself b/c that extra money that you would have spent from YOUR INCOME is saved by using the child support?
    Anonymous

• Well rent and those other things are to help your child so it's OK as long as you aren't spending it on yourself. You can always bank it if you like.

Anonymous

• well in the end the rent etc is for the child too, so if it has to be used for that on occasion than i wouldn't see it as a problem, however it is meant to buy stuff specifically for the child so if you can't pay the rent, water bill etc w/o it than i'd say that person needs to find a diff job to cover their bills. what would happen if the person who pays child support was late or stopped paying?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:48 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If your child eats hot food, sleeps on a bed in your house, drinks milk or other household shared items, showers with hot water or anything else of that nature I think it is perfetly reasonable to use child support to pay for bills and rent and household items.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:52 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i agree with pps. rent and utilities are for the children as well. thus child support can be used towards that.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 3:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Sorry, but child support is for the support of the child and that includes ANYTHING that is needed to support the child. That includes rent or mtg pmt, utilities, car pmts, gas and insurance. The child uses all of those in his or her daily life. It also covers medical insurance premiums, copays, deductibles and out of pocket costs. I got this list from a family court judge when my ex tried to say that $50 a week is too much for any child to need. Oh and it also covers daycare, sports and extra currricular activities.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It depends. If child support is recieved late or if the individual owes back child support than the person paying child support has no say. Because during the time the payments werent paid, the person taking care of the child was paying the other persons share. So once the child support arrives, the recipient can use it anyway they want. But if child support is paid regularly, it can be used for ANYTHING that the child needs on a day to day basis to survive and be entertained.
    Anonymous

• anything where the kids benefit

Answer by admckenzie at 6:19 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Having been involved on the other side of the fence, I can easily see how the person paying child support could get angry or annoyed that the child support is going to things the mother or other people benefit from. In his mind he is paying for his child not for the mom, her bf or husband to have their bills paid so they can go buy a new car...that is what we are dealing with right now. Is it really wrong no but I think a lot of people (my friends too) blurr the line on how they spend their child support money.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon at 341pm, the lines do get blurred. For example, I have a friend who just bought new Citizen jeans with part of it. Not cool in my book.
    Anonymous