Has anyone ever had to receive the 17 alpha hydroxy progesterone shot to help prevent preterm labor?

Taheerah

Asked by Taheerah at 4:10 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if that the breathine or however you spell it shot that stops ur contractions then yes i've had it three times with my daughter. went into labor at 29 31 33 wks they hurt like hell or at least mine did because they can give you up to three at a time to stop it and it took all three each time i went into labor to stop mine. I started breathing funny also like i had a brick on my chest they said its normal just side effects from the shots....maybe this helps
    Anonymous

• I havent had them yet, but I have to start them at 25 weeks. Lucky me...
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 4:52 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I had preterm labor with all three pregnancies. I was given Terbutaline (intravenously, and then by mouth) to stop it each time and it was successful with my last two, along with bedrest. The first time, I think my labor had already progressed too far when they started it. I also received steroid injections to help mature the baby's lungs and that was very beneficial to my first born b/c she was born the earliest at 33 weeks and had no breathing problems at birth or since. Hope this helps.
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 4:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• thaks for your responses. i actually start getting the shots tomorrow, we will see how it goes. i do know that i will be taking the shots until i am approx 37 weeks along. as long as it helps me hold onto my daughter alittle while longer so that she can continue to develop and come out a healthy baby i will do anything necessary..............
    Taheerah

Answer by Taheerah at 4:18 PM on May. 13, 2009