Is he ready for potty training?! =)

I got my son a potty yesterday and he loves it! He sat on it for about 20 minutes with no diaper on. I guess he felt like a big boy? Does this mean he's ready to start potty training? He isn't very verbal, but he knows several signs for things. Do you think I can start to train him now? We have a 2 week break from all his therapies and it seems like a good time. What do you think? I've heard if you start them too early it'll take longer. Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:12 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh! One more thing. He will be 18 months old next week.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• YOu can try. Its always worth a try, he might be interested in it for a few weeks then try to revert but keep on him. Just start sitting him on it every morning and then all day long. GL if he shows distress or doesn't want to then don't force him just yet. If he is willing to try then go for it the sooner the better.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i would look for signs he's ready. does he go into a corner (or just some place more private than just sitting in the living room w/everyone else) to pee/poop. does he want his diaper off immediately after using the restroom. i tried to start my dd at 18 months and it didn't work at all for her, some kids though it does work that young. so i would say it doesn't hurt to try but don't force it or expect it to happen over night just b/c he likes his potty. mine got her potty at the same time and never ever used it, shes 3 and she sat on it that first day for like an hour but after that wanted nothing to do with it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:15 PM on May. 6, 2009