Kindergarten

So my oldest will be starting kindergarten in September, I know it's kind of far off, but I'd like to get a head start before things are in high demand. So I was wondering when your children started Kindergarten was there a list sent home of things they needed to have to start, and if so what kinds of things were on there? Also if you have any tips on things that maybe weren't on a list but came in handy or were helpful to your child with anything I'd love any tips! Thanks!

whittear

Asked by whittear at 4:25 PM on May. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It also helps a lot if he can write his name or at least knows how to spell it and recognises it when he sees it. Here is the list that all my kids had for kindergarten.
    4 boxes tissue
    1 box crayons 24 count
    1 box #2 pencils 12 + count
    2 pocket folders ( I suggest that one of them be a durable plastic one)
    1 pair safety scissors
    1 package wide ruled loose leaf binder paper
    1 box gallon zip lock bags
    1 box quart zip lock bags
    a back pack that fits properly not to big
    a change of cloths
    an old button up shirt to wear as a smock for painting

majiklcerri

Answer by majiklcerri at 5:06 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Make sure you child has at least some experience with the alphabet... most kindergartens now will learn one letter a day. Make sure she can tie her shoe or has buckles or velcro...most teachers don't have time to stop and tie shoes all day.

My son's kindergarten sent out a list several months before school started...but, keep in mind, most schools now will put all their supplies in a community pile and all kids share them. Crappy, I know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:30 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Oh..crayons, pencils, writing tablets, a mat, scissors,
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Thanks BradenIsMySon, very helpful!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:49 PM on May. 6, 2009

• 35 sight words { 2, 3 & 4 letter words)
    counting to 100
    know sounds of each letter + sh, ch, th, wh
    read numbers 0 - 31
    write numbers 0 - 20
    rhymes
    knows penny, nickle, dime, quarter
    I hope this helps , good luck
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 8:36 PM on May. 6, 2009

• For items we had to buy (mostly teacher stuff!)

Black Sharpies
    gluesticks
    non-washable glue in the regular sized bottles
    crud...can't remember the rest - copy paper I think, and some other stuff

backpack - yeah, get one that fits, those huge ones that are as big as they are (we got ours at Payless - perfect size - and they had some at Target when I looked there within the last couple of weeks)
    Anonymous

• My son is just finishing kindergarten! They'll send out a supply list (the typical crayons, scissors, etc). However, two things I did for my son were to put a family picture in his backpack so we were "with him" all the time and I made sure he had my cell phone number memorized. It's quicker for him to call me if he needs to rather than having to wait to have it looked up in the office.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 8:51 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My daughter just had screening for kindergaten today, she just had to be able to recognize her alphabet, write her name, recognize her numbers, and know the different parts of a book.......anyway, I got her supply list today, multiple boxes of crayons, some markers, glue stick, white glue, expo markers, etc
    krissybear2003

Answer by krissybear2003 at 9:58 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I saw in wal mart they had lists (before the school year of coarse) around the store for certain schools and such, I am sure they will send you the list though!
    Shawchert

Answer by Shawchert at 7:38 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Awesome ladies thanks! As far as the stuff they would like him to know he's got all of that down, he went to nursery school and to PreK, so I think we're good there. I'm making an appointment for his screening this afternoon when I register him. I like the idea of putting a picture in his backpack, even though he has some experience being in a school environment he's never gone ALL day like he will be and I think that's a great idea. Thanks!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:14 AM on May. 7, 2009