Smell of cigarette smoke?

So my dad, cousin, and best friend all smoke. And then they want to hold the baby. My fiance hates it cuz he's saying its bad for him. But let me make this clear, they ARE NOT smoking in front of him, around him, near him, nothing. They just come in smelling like the smoke. So is this bad? Or is only the actual secondhand smoke bad and not the smoke smell? Thank you!

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 4:30 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know if you can smell it, it is being inhaled to some extent. But, how often do they hold the baby? A total of how many minutes a month? If it's only a few, I doubt it will cause your child any lasting harm.

I hate the smell of cigarettes on people, too...but I wouldn't let it destroy the loving relationship between my child and the people who love him.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I side with your fiance. Cigarette smoke lands on clothing therefore your child will smell like it.
    Anonymous

• this is still bad b/c the tar and what not is on their clothing. i'm a smoker, so this is what i did w/my daughter, i wore a sweatshirt and had my hair up in a hat when i smoked and then i would wash my hands before holding her. just ask that they maybe wash their hands first, and if possible wear a jacket over their shirts when they do go out to smoke. that way the primary stuff is on the jacket and not their shirts. but yes its still bad for the baby, its actually in some cases worse than the second hand smoke
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Things smell because actual particles of that item are in the air. I.e. poo smells up a room because there are particles of it in the air. So I would imagine if you can smell cigarette smoke, it is because there are smoke particles on or in the air around that person. Personally I think babies should smell like baby powder and baby like...not like smoke. That's gross. If it were me, you can hold the baby BEFORE you go stinking up yourself, not after. I don't want my child smelling like cigarettes. YUCK!
    Anonymous

• There is now a thing called third hand smoke. It is from touching things that have been in contact with cigarette smoke...like clothing, bedding and the like. It is not good for them. I always made my dh change his shirt and wash like mad before he could touch the baby.
    I thank god everyday that he quit smoking.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Research third hand smoke. As Nathskitten said, it is the residual smoke left after the cigarette is extinguished. It is harmful, but I don't know any concrete facts about it myself. So I recommend you research it yourself and make an education decision regarding your child.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:43 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree with your fiance too. I think smoking is disgusting and I would not want someone who smokes and smell of it holding my child. Unfortunately, you can't really tell your dad not to hold his grandchild, ya know? I would try and limit it, or suggest for them to quit (not only for themselves, but for everyone else too!).
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:21 PM on May. 6, 2009

• its bad for baby for them to hold it smelling like smoke...I was told by doc cuz my SO dad smokes to make him wash his hands before lettting him hold baby no matter when the last time he smoked was
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 5:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Yeah its still bad cause its on there hands and transfer skin to skin if they want to hold him make sure they scrub well first and havent been out smoking for at least an hour. My DH smokes (outside of course and never in front of us) and hes just scrubs down and always wears a jacket out so the smoke doesnt get on his shirt.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 5:41 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If you are smelling it, you're still breathing it in.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:00 PM on May. 6, 2009