Toddler bed/bedding

Two parts A)At what age did you transition your child from the crib to a bed or toddler bed? B)When did you introduce sheets and bedding (i.e. pillow, sheets, blanket). My son is still an infant, but my hubby and I are curious when most make this transition after he becomes a toddler. Thanks!

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 4:44 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I moved my first at 19 months, and I really regretted doing it that soon. She got sheets, blankets, and a pillow at that time. My twins are 20 months, and I plan to wait a while longer with them unless they start climbing out of their cribs. They have small pillows now.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:49 PM on May. 6, 2009

• my daughter started to sleep with a pillow when she was about 1 same with blankets etc..sheets aren't a problem before then, what do you have in his crib now? as for the toddler bed, she got hers shortly after she turned 2 b/c she was at the point where she would climb out of her crib. each kids diff though and some start climbing out earlier, thats usually the cue to get a toddler bed.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:49 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Well my daughter has ALWAYS slept with a blanket, so there was so introducing there. We just put her into her big girl bed at 17 months, and she has a pillow now. She really doesn't think much of the pillow lol, its just there. And when I moved her to the big girl bed I let her use the blanket from her crib so she had something familiar to help with the move, she doesn't cover up with sheets.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:54 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My son is 11 months and has slept with a blanket for a few months now. As for switching him over, I think we'll wait until he's around 2. He's our only child right now and we won't be trying to baby #2 until next year, so we have some time :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:09 PM on May. 6, 2009

• OP here - no bedding other than the flat sheet now; he sleeps in a sleep sack as it still gets chilly at night where we are. I'm thinking of switching him to sleeping in a onesie w/ blanket this summer.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 5:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• dd went to a toddler bed around 20 months or so. She's doing great with it. She has just the flat sheet the baby blankets which are the perfect size for her still. Both of which she had in the crib. I also have a quillow (quilt that folds into a pillow) that my grandma made she uses as a pillow in the toddler bed. It's a good size, but fairly flat and works well for her.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I also took two body pillows and put them in front of the toddler bed in case she rolls out. She does from tiem to time, but is getting better.
    Anonymous

• I moved mine to a toddler bed at 32 months. I had a crib tent so she couldn't climb out and explore her room before that.

Keep in mind that toddler beds are optional. You can skip it and go straight to a twin (or larger) bed.

As for bedding:
    She had a blanket at 6 months - once she could crawl.
    She had a toddler pillow (about 1/2 sized) at 2 years. Babies and toddlers do not need them at all.
    I introduced a top sheet about a month after I moved her to a bed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My DD slept with us from birth. So she always had a pillow && a blanket. We moved her to her toddler bed a couple weeks ago, at 20 months. She does great with it! =)
    Ari0825

Answer by Ari0825 at 6:58 PM on May. 7, 2009