How did you know when it was time to get married?

My bf and I think we are ready. We are very happy together, we have been together for 3 years, live together, and have an 8 month old son. I don't have any doubts, but I always overthink things, like what if...
So I just wanted to ask, how did you know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• If you can have a baby with the man and you guys are still together...Y would you question Marriage?????
    Anonymous

• For us, marriage was a legal decision. I already loved him and was committed to spend the rest of my life with him. Life was good. We were together 5 years before we decided to it. After looking at the legal and financial benefits of marriage, we decided it was impractical to throw our money away by paying more for insurance, taxes, etc., and we wanted more certainty should anything happen to either of us. At the time, I was in school. We got engaged before school started, and waited 2 years to actually marry since I was on financial aid, and needed every penny. I would have been denied a big chunk if his salary was factored in. We've been married six years, and are expecting our first child.

It's about when you feel ready. Don't rush, but don't pull back. If you're both committed to making the relationship work, then consider all the benefits/detriments of marriage.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:55 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I guess you just have to trust yourself, and him, and know that you will work together on everything. I went through the same thoughts after DH and I were engaged. I thought "Am I doing the right thing? Is this what I want?" ... it's normal. But I had faith in us, as a couple, that we have the tools to have a great marriage.

With that said, you have practically gone through (in my mind) the hardest thing on a couple ... having a baby!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:07 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It sounds to me like you are practically there to begin with. By now you have both learned to compromise, I hope!, and to communicate. Since your still with him you can trust that he is reliable, loves you and the child. Go for it! One kind of personal question though, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, Don't want to make you mad or anything, but whats the foundation of your relationship? Ours is Jesus. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have lasted the first year.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 5:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• well me n my dh were together for 2 months & I was gonna ask him but the same night he came home from work with a ring n did it himself! I was omg crazy happy, now given we've been best friends for 5 years through highschool! I think we're perfect for each other, 1 year & 94 more to go!!! LOL
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 5:30 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Just make sure you are financially ready as well as emotionally. Everything you do financially ( as well) becomes combined.. Finances are up in the top 3 for divorces.
    Anonymous

• some times things change once you get married
    erica2525

Answer by erica2525 at 6:18 PM on May. 6, 2009

• when i saw 2 pink lines on a white plastic stick lol! im kidding.

we were already engaged when i got pregnant, but hadn't set a date. so when i got pregnant, we decided to just go ahead and do it then.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 7:12 PM on May. 6, 2009