Can a married woman be a bridesmaid?

I'm asking becuz my DH neice asked me to be a bridesmaid. This never occured to me until my mom was startled to hear that I am a bridesmaid. The wedding is this month on the 30th so of course it's too late to change. but i've already be asked to be a bridesmaid at my brother's wedding next year. So should I take the title? Or does this even make a difference. Especially since tradtional wedding barriers have been broken. So please someone explain the etiquette when it comes to choosing a bridesmaid.

youngmomofms

Asked by youngmomofms at 4:52 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• NO they can not be bridesmaids, as a matter of fact they can not even be in the church when your vows are being read. If they are it will mean they are now married to all the men in the church including your GUY......................REALLY............did you REALLY just ask this question???????????
    Anonymous

• Yes. All of the ones in my wedding were already married. A lot of my friends have married bridesmaids and I'm going to be one in a wedding at the end of this year.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:55 PM on May. 6, 2009

• In my opinion, a bridesmaid is someone you love and want to share your special day with. I wouldn't even consider not having someone just because they are married. My sister is getting married this October and I am getting married in April of next year and she will be a bridesmaid in my wedding as I will be in hers.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• yes i've been in two weddings since i've been married one as the matron of honor, which is the title for a married maid of honor the other as the bridesmaid. it doesn't matter if the bridal party is married or not.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Of course. If you're asked to be the maid of honor, the official title would be "matron of honor."
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I didn't know married women couldn't be bridesmaids. I have never known that. My sister was a bridesmaid in her friend's wedding after her own wedding. My sister also had a married woman in her wedding. My sister in law had a traditional Mexican wedding and most of us were married, but I am not sure if the tradition there is different. I don't know for sure! I really have never heard anything at all like that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes, the only title I know of that changes if your married is the maid/matron of honor. Other wise theres no reason why your marital status means you cant be a brides maid.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:58 PM on May. 6, 2009

• In response to the Anonymous answer I got... if you think my question was silly then your answer was just as crazy! So did you REALLY just answer that question like that... ?! What planet are you representing lady... if you are one... to say that a married woman cannot be in the church!? That's stupid. You mean to tell me that if you were getting married and your mom is married she can't come to your wedding? Explain.. cuz what you talking about is not making any sense. I have never heard that a married woman shouldn't be a bridesmaid.... Which is why the question was asked. And apparently I'm not the only one.
    youngmomofms

Answer by youngmomofms at 5:19 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes---anyone can be a bridesmaid. WHo thought a bridesmaid couldn't be married? LOL. That's something I never heard before......
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• she was being a smart ass, lol.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 5:28 PM on May. 6, 2009