ASKING FOR STORIES AND EXPERIENCES ON THE ADHD MED CONCERTA THANKS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on May. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son just started Concerta recently, so I will be checking back with this one. So far, I have not noticed any change in him, but he is taking the smallest dose right now. It gets upped on Saturday just to evaluate him as far as that goes. However, I also haven't noticed any side effects. He still eats well, sleeps well, isn't sick or tired, has no tics or anything.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:01 PM on May. 6, 2009

• THANKS
    Anonymous

• My daughter was on Concerta for a few months and it worked wonderfully. It did kill her appetite and she had a hard time sleeping, but it's been like that with all the ADD meds we've tried. To help her sleep, we give her 3mg of Melatonin. Most nights she can get to sleep on her own though. The routine goes like this with us. We get on a particular med and it's perfect, then it needs upped a few weeks later, then it quits working entirely and the dr. switches us to something new. We're on our third med now, called Focusil and we just had the dosage upped from 10mg to 15mg and it's been the best so far. She's also been on Concerta and Straterra. I'm on Straterra myself and find it works wonders but to each his own. Good luck!
    lisah73

Answer by lisah73 at 11:16 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My husband got a really upset stomach from it. If you haven't already done so, you need to find a therapist who will work with your child and help her/him learn how to use ADD/ADHD to her/his advantage. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books at your local library; more information on his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    There is a major link between behavior and foods. The Feingold Organization exists to help parents learn about this link. www.feingold.org.
    My daughter's attention issues were helped tremendously by fish oil caps, though we have now switched to hemp oil.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 AM on May. 7, 2009

• We also noticed some improvement with fish oil, an Omega 3-6-9 complex. But the results weren't long term. I think after about a week or ten days, we noticed it was no longer working. But a lot of people do find results with it. Also if you can cut down on refined sugars and artificial colors/dyes, that is reported to help A LOT. But I am sure that is all things that you discussed with your pediatrician.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:35 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My DD was on it and it did kill her appetite a bit but she was usually hungry by dinner. She said at lunch time all she wanted was to drink or maybe a small snack. It helped her with her attention a lot. We had her on Aderal and it was a disaster for us. She told us it made her think funny thoughts. So we took her off. ADHD meds work differently in each kid so sometimes it is trial and error. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:49 PM on May. 7, 2009