14 mos, napping/bedtime questions

When should a toddler move from 2 naps to 1. How long do you let your child sleep for her 1 and only nap in the afternoon? What time does your 13-18 mo old go to bed and rise.

rjacob2008

Asked by rjacob2008 at 5:12 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dropped my son's second nap when he seemed to not need it anymore. I can't really remember what age. You'll know she doesn't need it anymore if she isn't napping or resists that second nap and if she's fine and doesn't act sleepy when she doesn't have that second one. My daughter will be 16 months on the 13th, and she still takes two naps at home. I say "at home" because she only gets one at daycare. Sometimes, we have to give her a very late nap when she gets home when she's out of control and rubbing her eyes. On the weekends when she's at home, we still give her one around 11:00 and another around 3:00. She takes a nap for an hour - 2 hours for the first one and about an hour to hour & 1/2 for the second. Our son was a sleeper and used to take a 3 hour nap for the first one. Can't remember how long the second one lasted. Autumn goes to bed between 8:00 & 8:30 at night and wakes up between 6:00 and 7:00 usually.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 6:02 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Most drop to 1 nap by 18 months. That's about as specific as it gets.
    You let them sleep for as long as they want. If a child is sleeping, there's a reason for it. I can't tell you the number of times my daughter has taken an extra long nap, with me wondering if I should wake her and then discovering she has a cold the next day. Her body knew it needed the rest.
    Keep in mind that an overtired toddler will not rest well at night. Forcing them to drop a nap or forcing them to wake up early from a nap will actually disrupt the night time sleep. They will have a harder time getting to sleep, staying asleep, and may wake earlier in the morning.

In the 13 to 18 month range, my daughter was taking 1 nap - usually about 1 hour long - and her bedtime was 6:45. She woke in the mornings about 6:30. By 24 months, it was 7:15am, 2-3 hours long, and 7:15pm.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:39 PM on May. 6, 2009