Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What happens to my tax refund now?

When I filed my taxes (paper, old fashioned way) I gave them my checking account info so I could have it direct deposited. Since I filed my bank closed my checking account without telling me because I had a zero balance for so long. I tried to have them reopen it but they refuse to do that until I can go in in person and sign papers in person. The problem with that is we now live 1600 miles away from that bank, I've been a customer there for 9 years so I kept the account when we moved, I do everything online anyways.

So anyways, what happens now? Will the IRS try to deposit it and when not able to just send a check? Do I need to contact them and inform them to send it by check now? Am I SOL and going to lose my return all together? Help!

Answer Question

Asked by muensters_ma at 5:17 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 6 (144 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • i would ask the bank what would happen to it if the IRS tried to deposit it. if they can't deposit it in your account i'd assume they would mail it to you but check with the bank first, some banks will reopen the account when there is a major deposit that is trying to go through

    Answer by vabchmommy at 5:19 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • Call the IRS immediately and explain the situation, they will work something out with you. Believe it or not they aren't as hateful as people are lead to believe.

    Answer by finallyamom40 at 5:19 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • im am sure you wont loose your return
    my guess would be that they will issue a check, but call and ask
    good luck

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:17 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • We had a mixed up routing number once with our IRS deposit. When they weren't able to make the deposit the money went back and they issued us a check. It took almost a month but we did get the money. I called them to check on what was going on when things took so long and they had already sorted it out on their own. If you would like some peace of mind I would call them, otherwise just be patient.

    Answer by spbeta at 6:22 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • I would think that they will mail it to the address you have on your return. Has your address changed since you filed?

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:38 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • Nope, Same Address.

    Thanks Ladies :)

    Answer by muensters_ma at 1:41 AM on May. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.