Need Ideas For Really Cheap Meals.

Alright ladies, I need your help. I'm starting school and I have to pay $189.00 a month for a loan. I make good money but with bills (plus doctor and a hospital bill) my bills total without the bills is almost 500.00. Plus house hold stuff. We are trying to put money back as well. And we need some really cheap but healthy meal ideas. I don't like to by prepackaged foods. Once in awhile we'll grab pizza's and stuff like that the most we buy prepackaged is chicken strips and stuff like that. Now we cook alot of my Mom too. She's got diabetes and high cholestrol, and was told to stay away from salt. (Another reason we don't buy alot of prepackaged stuff) any idea would be great.
I try to buy alot of fresh fruits and veggies, to have on hand to snack on.

Catrin2009

Asked by Catrin2009 at 5:19 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• One of my favorite quick easy and cheap meals is; One Can of Tuna, One Can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup, Onion, and Egg Noodles (or any kind of noodles you have on hand ) Just cook the noodles and add the other ingrediants, also sometimes add French's Fried Onions or cheese or something like that for a topping, Corn Flakes work too. My family LOVES it!
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 5:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Buy roasting chickens when they are on sale and roast them. They are good for several meals, including adding to casseroles such as the one Tarabella mentioned except chicken instead of tuna, and chicken salad (chicken, celery, relish, mayo, some chopped onion), then cook up the bones for soup and add whatever you have in the refrigerator plus some canned vegetables. Perhaps a meal of eggs each week, eggs are allowed again in moderation.

Answer by Bmat at 5:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Red beans and rice is a weekly dish at our house. Gumbo is cheap and goes a long way too. We buy frozen veggies like broccoli and cauliflower. Chicken and Rice also.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:36 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I like to make soups. They are cheap and really go a long way. Every time I make a batch, I can freeze half of it to be available when money is super tight. If you have a decently stocked pantry (dried beans, various spices, simple veggies, cheap meats) you can make a soup out of anything.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:54 PM on May. 6, 2009

• at walmart in the frozen section they have a tube like of pre cooked chicken patties it is like $5 for a bunch of them
    we use them for sandwiches, and sometimes I will make noodles and use them for a cheap-o chicken parmisain
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I can feed our family of 7 on $250 - $275/ month. I'm also diabetic. How about chicken or beef in gravy served over biscuits or mashed potatoes? There's also chicken & rice casserole made with cheapie chicken leg 1/4's; BBQ or smothered pork chops; homemade fried chicken or chicken strips; use leftover chicken in chicken stuffing casserole, chicken & dumplings, chicken pot pie, shredded chicken burritos...substitute ground turkey for ground beef in spaghetti made with homemade sauce (pennies per batch and no sugar or salt added). Make your own pizza crust with whole wheat flour, homemade pizza sauce, lots of veggies and about 1/2 the cheese you think you need. Make stir fry beef or chicken dishes using low sodium soy sauce and LOTS of veggies! Your mom would really benefit from meals that include beans or lentils (serve spaghetti sauce or stir fry over lentils...different but good!) I have recipes; PM me if you'd like them!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:38 PM on May. 6, 2009

• You can make several different crock pot meals very inexpensively, soups, stews, whole chickens are way cheaper than the cut up kind, You put a whole chicken in with some carrots celery and onions (all very cheap!!) some water and bullion if you have it, Leave it all day, add noodles about 10 min before dinner and there you go!! It's delicious! You can also buy cheaper cuts of beef or pork, put it in the crock with some BBQ sauce and water, let it cook all day and have yummy shredded BBQ sammies for dinner! I have a million more ideas!! Cooking is my thing!! If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask me!!!
    Diana44

Answer by Diana44 at 9:38 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Here are some foods that we eat, feel free to contace me directly with questions soups and stews with veggies and lentils or beans; black bean and sweet potato burritos; lentil sloppy joes; curries with vegetables and chickpeas with brown rice; whole wheat spagetti and broccoli with peanut sauce; beans, rice, quesadillas with avocado salad; bean patties with avocado sauce; whole wheat pasta with beans, tofu, marinara and a sprikle of cheese.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:24 PM on May. 7, 2009